cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Can I get Gfast

Go to solution

And you know your line runs directly from the cabinet to your home and not up the other side of the street, crosses the road then comes back down to you?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

OK, I have just measured it on GooogleMaps. It is further than I thought, It is 165 meters - still well under 300m. This is following the road and my driveway. I have been told previously that this is the route taken by the cable. I suppose that might not be true. My street is a crescent with both ends on the same main road. My house is very close to one end and the cabinet is very close to the other end. The natural route is from the cabinet to the main road, up the main road to my end of the crescent, up my road to junction box at the top of my drive, and down my drive. No crossing of roads is involved. Of course if I was misinformed, the cable could go all the way round the crescent instead. That would make it 419meters, so it would be out of range.

Do you know if it is possible to find the availability for other houses in my street without knowing their phone number?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

Just put the address in the checker instead of phone number.

If you were 419 metres from the cabinet, you wouldn't be getting the full 80M that you are getting currently.

Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the address checker option. I have now checked various addresses right around the crescent, and none of them are shown as having GFast. I also notice that for all the addresses (including mine) the table shows that "FTTP on demand" is available, but the notes below table say that FTTP is not available. Does that make sense?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Yes. FTTPoD is a very expensive bespoke product aimed at business, not to be confused with WBC FTTP which is the consumer product. Basically with FTTPoD you pay for the whole construction costs plus a very high monthly charge.

Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks, that makes sense. Could that be what the engineer told me about without realising that it is there only for FTTPod business customers?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

FTTPod is available to anyone with deep enough pockets not just business , but you have to use an ISP that offer that Openreach product and has nothing to do with Gfast availability, perhaps the error the engineer made was telling you that Gfast was available....FWIW, Gfast modules are added the the ‘copper’ cabinet, so if you know where your cabinet is, you could simply visually check if there is a Gfast cabinet attached, then again a shell may have been provided but they never proceeded any further...but if no Gfast cabinet, definitely no Gfast.

Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

How would I recognise the GFast cabinet? The engineer who told me about GFast being available had just returned from doing some work at the cabinet, so I assume (perhaps wrongly) that he must have seen the equipment in the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

It will look like this.

7447-g-fast-pod.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks. I'll take a look next time I am down the road.
0 Ratings