cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sznichol
Message 1 of 4

Can I get connected to use the fibre cable running past my drive?

Hi

I am due to get fibre (FTTC) installed by BT Openreach.  I have been quoted an estimated speed of 8mb when the fibre is installed - I am currently on 2mb for the copper connection.  I am guessing that I am quoted a relatively slow fibre speed because I am a fair distance from the cabinet.

I do have a fibre cable going over the top of my drive to one of the houses down our road.  I was told by BT that this is probably for another exchange, but there are only about 10 more houses from me until a dead-end.  Would I be able to get a connection by Openreach to this cable and utilising FTTP/H and hoping to get a much better speed as opposed to the quoted FTTC 8mb??  I had no luck when trying explain this re the call centre.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I get connected to use the fibre cable running past my drive?

Fibre connections/terminations are much more difficult to make than copper cable ones.  It would involve lots of special equipment (I'm not sure what exactly) at the point they tied you into the fibre cable.  So I'm afraid the answer is almost certainly no.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

Openreach are planning FTTP/H for sometime this year. There will be an installation charge for it but the actual charge by ISP's has not been released yet.

So yes later this year it will be available, whether you are prepared to pay the price is another matter.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 4

Depends, if your lucky there might an aggregation node right outside your house, where they can split it but I very much doubt it.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings