Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gilly6520071
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Can I get fibre or not....

Go to solution

I currently have a landline not with BT and radio wave broadband.  Fibre has just come to our village, so I rang BT to get fibre broadband.  They told me I could get speeds up to 80mbps with 76mbps guaranteed, so I went ahead with order for new landline and infinity 2 with BT.  A few days later I received a call from BT informing that the line would be activated first, then I had to have ADSL before they could order the fibre, which would follow in approx 10 days.  

Then I received a call this afternoon saying that my new line and ADSL broadband would be activated next week.  I asked when the fibre would be connected and they said I can't get fibre at my premises.  Even though I questioned this, she insisted I could not get fibre.  I told them to cancel the order as I don't want ADSL as I have radio broadband which is faster.

I went onto online chat, to request the refund of my 12 months line rental paid in advance and when discussing the reason for cancellation I was told that the person who told me I needed ADSL before fibre didn't know what they were talking about and I can definitely get fibre.

When checking on Outreach and BT websites with my phone number and address details, they both say I can get fibre.

I don't know who to believe whether I can get fibre or not.  Could the websites indicate I can get fibre when I actually can't?  The box is less than 100 metres from the property and connected by copper overhead wires.

BT customer service leaves a lot to be desired and I have wasted so much time on this.  The first call when I placed the order was a UK call centre, all the other calls have been from India and they just give conflicting information (when I can understand them!)

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I get fibre or not....

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
It'll most likely be a records issue. Sometimes when a line is first installed it takes a week or two for all of the systems to align and show what services are available.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If you don't yet have a bt line then you made need to use your address in the dslchecker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gilly6520071
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, here is the screen shot - sorry it looks quite small - will try again

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Clearly shows fibre is available to you with potential infinity 2 speed 80/20mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
As I posted above. Just wait until your line is up and running and within a week or two you'll be able to order Infinity.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gilly6520071
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for all the useful information!

0 Ratings
gilly6520071
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I have emailed a director of BT who has investigated my case and this is our situation now.

We live 50 metres from Cabinet Ilmington 1 which is now live in Blackwell. I tried to order fibre from BT but have been told we cannot get it in the foreseeable future as our copper wire is 4.5 kilometres from the cabinet and it needs to be a maximum of 3.5km. The whole village is no more than 2km long so how our copper cabling is 4.5 km long to get to the cabinet 50m away intrigues me. BT also say that re routing direct to the cabinet is not an option - they don't do that. This could possibly be the same for many or all of the houses in the village depending on how their copper cabling is routed.

If all the 70 houses in our village have longer than 3.5km copper cabling no-one will be able to get fibre and it will have been a total waste of time and money upgrading the cabinet.  

Is this a common problem?  Is there a way round it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I cant see openreach upgrading your cabinet if nobody can connect to it  there must be other customers apart from you and your neighbours using the cabinet otherwise upgrade would have not been financially viable

0 Ratings