cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Can I order FTTP without a phoneline

Go to solution

Hi

I am planning on ordering FTTP with BT as it is now available for my property. I am currently with Sky broadband and have to pay for line rental but I never use the phone (don't even have one plugged in).

If I order FTTP can I avoid having to have a phone line and the associated line rental charge?

Many thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I order FTTP without a phoneline

Go to solution

NO  you need to have a phone line for broadband even FTTP which may be digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@simonob007 

All broadband prices include line rental, whether you use a fixed phone or not. The cost is to cover the maintenance of the service, whether its copper or fibre.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Just out of interest if you didn’t have to pay for a phone service what would you expect the saving to be (I deliberately didn’t say line rental, as you obviously need to pay for the media that carry’s the service regardless of it being fibre or a copper pair ) , some naively think if a company states £25 for LR/BB and they   also think LR is around £20 , then it follows that BB alone must be £5, which is nonsense.

A company (VM)  that has offered a stand alone broadband service alongside a phone and broadband bundle shows the saving for the stand alone BB is negligible to none, and no reason to suspect that should BT offer BB without a phone service would be any different ( they currently don’t anyway)...it’s always been the case, don’t want the phone service don’t plug a phone in.

As far as any contractual obligation you may have with Sky, you should be able to continue with that ( paying monthly rather than paying early termination fees ) and run the FTTP alongside, just don’t ask for your Sky number to be ported over, that should ensure the Sky service isn’t ceased, but the cost won’t be reduced just because you don’t need 2 phone service 

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks all, I really appreciate the speedy responses, great community! It is good to know the line rental is included, even if I don't use it at least I won't be paying any additional charges (my Sky broadband and line rental are separate charges).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you look at the full list of Providers who sell Openreaches FTTP there are some that sell Broadband only Packages. I suspect like most people I meet you seem to have this idea in your head that just because it’s Openreach installing the FTTP (which you probably still perceive to be BT) you therefore have to get BT FTTP.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

BT now offer broadband only without a phone service but it is the same price:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@brookheatherWithout a landline phone service. Be it copper or fibre you still need a landline.

0 Ratings