cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Can I request connection to a different PCP?

Thanks @licquorice . If there's anything at all you can suggest that would help (get me moved) I'd appreciate it.

I will read the   https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-fibre-partnerships page.

Regards

Gary

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Its possible that once the installation has been completed, it might become apparent you are actually connected to a different cabinet. I presume you are basing your information on the DSL checker  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL  using an address rather than phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Correct, yes I  have used that page via the address checker but BT have supplied me a number but  I get the following response "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line" .

I'm sure I will be on the SLOW cab , as the long story is, in September I moved services from Cambridge to Ware previously having fast broadband . BT split the order stating they could not supply fast broadband so I cancelled the order. Since then Ive been horrified to find out that neither Sky (dish position) or Virgin (dig is too costly) could supply me a service.😤

...back to BT 😒

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

"Unfortunately not. We can’t move a line that’s already connected to a home or business from one cabinet to another."

From personal experience, I can say that this is not strictly true  - although I may have been very lucky!

I have had FTTC since it became available in my area. Unfortunately, due to the build history of my estate my line was served by a cabinet over 650 metres away, via a couple of notoriously bad joints, and with a lump of aluminium cable in the middle! My best sync speed ever was around 44MBits, but it was never stable and forever cutting out and going really slowly. Openreach were regular visitors to me to try to resolve the problem, but one of them told me that to fix my line he had to open up one of the bad joints which would probably knock someone off in the process. Sure enough, a few days later my line would go bad again and the process would cycle round.

This went on for over 6 years, and did not seem to have an end in sight. I regularly pointed out to Openreach that there was another cabinet, (same exchange), 50 metres from my front door whose fibre cables went through the footway box directly across the service road from the end of my drive. All it would take would be for them to dig across the service road and up my short front garden and the problem would be resolved permanently. "Can't be done" I was always told, "that will never happen". Until one day I was talking to the latest Openreach engineer to come out to resolve the ongoing issue. It transpired that he was some sort of super engineer, (or whatever they call them), who was able to delve deeper in to repeat faults, with the authority to make recommendations within Openreach. After lots of testing, including for radio interference, he said he would put in a proposal for a "lift and shift" of cabinet. Surprisingly, this was accepted and the work was completed just before the first lockdown last year. I now get stable 80/20.

I did wonder though if Openreach's final decision was influenced by the fact that a couple of weeks earlier, CityFibre had installed in my area and dug across the service road right next to where Openreach's duct went!

Message 15 of 22

If you have a good 4g mobile signal and don't have a lot of heavy users in your house you could consider getting a 4g router on an unlimited data broadband package. They start at about £22 per month.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

@gg30340  £20 pm.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

@pippincp wrote:

@gg30340  £20 pm.

That is still about £22pm but obviously better 😀

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Granted.🤣

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Thanks but I have done that. It doesn't resolve my TV addiction I'm afraid 😊

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

See what happens after the 10th 🤞

0 Ratings