cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shatru1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can I request on which socket I wish fibre to be installed?

Go to solution

Is it possible to add a note to the details of my fibre order, informing the engineer that I need the installation to be on an extension socket? I've paid the extra £35 for any additional work the engineer has to do and, to save him time, wondered if this could be arranged beforehand?

My master socket is an old-style one with a single socket for a telephone (not an Openreach one) and has a 10m cable extension for the room where the router is sited, terminating in another phone socket. The extension cable is the round, twisted pair type and runs along the outside of the house - it exits through the house wall, via the original hole for the master socket, along the brick wall and into an upstairs room and standard phone socket.

I can't have an extension cable tacked along the inside walls of the house, as it would be about three times as long as an exterior cable and look awful.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
nalimugmug
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I request on which socket I wish fibre to be installed?

Go to solution

Hi,

If you wish to get from your hub to devices without running cables suggest you use BTs powerline adapters-worked for me!

Cheers

Bob

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

As you have the engineer install and paid for additional work  then you should have no problem, just have a word with him/her when they arrive.

The offer of tea & biscuits also goes a long way.Smiley Wink

Powerline adapters do not work for everyone as they are dependant on the internal electrical wiring and the circuit arrangements in the distribution board.

shatru1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks to both.

I was concerned about losing a lot of the speed, via the extension, and wondered if Ethernet is recommended?

I do use use powerline adaptors and they seem to work fine.  One is used to bring the internet to the TV and the other has an Access Point plugged in to it, to improve the wi-fi.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Ethernet is always the best solution.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
You want fibre to be installed on master socket so may need to get engineer to convert an extension socket, if thats where you want the hub, to the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
shatru1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I'd prefer to keep the master socket where it is and stick with installing the fibre on the extension - I just wondered how I could ensure I still get the speed I pay for.  Don't want to complicate things any more!

Would replacing the 10m of twisted pair cable with Ethernet really make a difference?  Could the engineer do this and supply the cable?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

If you want the master socket to be the one downstairs rather than the extention being converted to one, the engineer could use the 10mtr twisted pair to supply a data extention upstairs.

No matter what type of cable is used (twisted pair is the best) data extentions are only reccommended for 30ft or less with VDSL.

My comment re- ethernet was for connections from the router onwards as this is good for 100mtrs.