cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I set up new Smart Hub 2 before engineer visit?

Hi, 

I'm currently on BT Fibre (FTTC) but have ordered an upgrade to BT FTTP. I've received my lovely new Smart Hub 2, but the engineer isn't due for another 2-3 weeks (end of June). I wondered if I'm safe to set up the Smart Hub 2 to replace my old HH6 before the engineer arrives?

The BT upgrade email said not to set it up before the visit, but I was struggling to think of a reason why this would be an issue, and ideally I'd love to have the benefits of the new hub for the next couple weeks.

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I set up new Smart Hub 2 before engineer visit?

if your hh6 is working ok without problems then I doubt you will see any difference connecting the SH2.  personally I would stick with the hh6 if ok and wait for FTTP install before connecting SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

No you will have received the FTTP version of the SH2 which doesn't have a modem so it won't work with ADSL or VDSL (FTTC).

Message 4 of 6

You may well be disappointed with the 'benefits' of the new hub, but yes, just plug it in. When you get FTTP you will remove the connection to the DSL port and connect the ONT to the red WAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Ah, I didn't realise that there were different versions of the SH2.

Thanks so much, really helpful -- I'll just stay patient until the engineer arrives 🙂

Thanks again, and have a great day!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@brookheather wrote:

No you will have received the FTTP version of the SH2 which doesn't have a modem so it won't work with ADSL or VDSL (FTTC).

As far as I'm aware, the FTTP version still has a working DSL port and modem, but prepared to be proved wrong on that.

0 Ratings