cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texxaco
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Can I use a ASUS DSL-AC68U modem Router on FTTP?

Go to solution

Evening all,

I have just had BT FTTP installed and found the BTHub 6 to be unreliable hence my question. Can I use my Asus DSL -AC68U ADSL/VDLS modem router in its place?

I have searched this forum and others with little success.  The ASUS DSL-AC68U doesnt have a dedicated WAN port but  Asus in their wisdonm allows you to specify a LAN port to set as a WAN port, which I have done successfully. Sadly this is as far as i have been able to get.

Should anyone be able to assit I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks   Pete

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I use a ASUS DSL-AC68U modem Router on FTTP?

Go to solution

You should be able to. Here's a recent thread for the AC56U to work with the OpenReach modem:- Using Asus DSL modem/Router with FTTH/FTTP

Also found this "A quick search for 'use ASUS DSL-AC68U as router only' turned up a few results.  Quote from one forum post:- ">Go at wan > dual wan (don't enable it) and set primary wan to Ethernet LAN & set 1 of the 4 LAN ports (example LAN 4) ...>"

texxaco
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks Tim, I did as advised, the router says its connected yet I have no Internet access. We I try to load a page I get a BT Wholesale service information page pop up.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

That suggests an account problem rather than a technical problem. If you can reach the Wholesale information page you have the correct settings.

texxaco
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
I wish I could share the page to allow you to see the message. The message doesn't really provide me with a place to start looking. I know my line is still up as I hook up the HH6 and internet.

The message starts with" You have been connected to this page due to one of the follwing reasons " ring any bell?

Cheers

Pete
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If the HH works its an authentication problem with the ASUS. With FTTC you authenticate against the phone line and thus there is a generic PPP username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com. With FTTP, I thought the ONT did the authentication so username on the router should be irrelevant. Counter intuitively, you could try leaving the username and password blank on the ASUS.

texxaco
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Sorted it, the bthomehub @ BT broadband. Come and BT is required for FTTP. School boy error on my part, an extra d got lodged in after after broad. Sorted now and so very pleased to get rid of the HH6. Cheers for all your help everyone, one happy puppy here
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Good result and thanks for confirming the generic PPP authentication is still required.