cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danmdan
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Can I use a TP-Link TD-W8970

Shortly before Infinity 1 became available to me I bought a TP-Link TD-W8970 "Modem Router"   Now this appears to have like my HH3 a "Lan4/WAN" socket - so is there any way I can use it either to replace only the HH3 BT router, or even both the HH3 and the HG612 modem ?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Can I use a TP-Link TD-W8970

Its an adsl2 modem router so you wont be able to use it to replace both the Openreach Modem and HH.

You might be able to set it up as just a router if you know what you're doing.
danmdan
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

If anyone has experience or suggestions of how to use it as a router instead of the HH3, do please comment.  It had great wifi coverage due to the three aerials when I was using it as a BB router/modem.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

User Guide here http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TD-W8970_V1_User_Guide.pdf

Page 20 shows you can set it up as a router. Page 6 then suggests you need to enable EWAN to allow you to connect to VDSL \ FTTC. Not sure how you do that! (EDIT, it might just be a case of using the correct WAN port on the back!)

The index shows support contact details. Alternatively search google to see if anything turns up.

danmdan
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

That is useful.  I think that I need to duplicate on the TP-Link the settings which are BT's in the HH3, so that the BT modem sees the TP-Link in the same way as it sees the HH3.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

In the main, you should note the service name as stated in the home hub and should be something like bthomehub@btbroadband.com and you may or may not need to enter a password (the HH doesnt need one).

Before you disconnect the HH, make a note of the TCP \ IP's displayed on the HH under Broadband then Internet screens.

The only other setting you may have to set is that PPPoE is selected.
danmdan
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I am right now trying to set up the TP-link as a replacement to the HH3

The HH3 has these settings --

settinsHH3.jpg

Wheras the TP-Link has, under "LAN settings --

Gateway

Default Domain

DNS Server

Secondary DNS Server

Now how do the 2 sets of settings correspond ?, and thus which HH3 settings are to be transferred - all 4 ?

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

The TP Link should have provision to just accept the iP addresses as assigned by the ISP.

If you cannot find that, I'd try
BB Network IP = Default Domain
Default Gateway = Gateway
Primary DNS = DNS Server
Secondary DNS = Secondary DNS Server.

Looking at these, the last two look pretty nailed on so if it doesnt work, try swapping the first two around.
danmdan
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Well it works, the TP-link TD-W8970 set as a "wireless router" --

This on Infinity 1, about 300 meters from the Cabinet

Using a scanner the signal strength, formerly around -70 dBm at my computer , is now showing -63 dBm, while the S/N ratio has also increased from 29 to around 36.

I entered on the TP-Link the 2 DNS addresses taken from the HH3's settings, but not the other 2 HH3 addresses noted above - on the TP-Link I left these address lines blank.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Glad you got it sorted.
0 Ratings