Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Mavro
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Can I use an old bt hub?

Go to solution
Hi, for the past 2 days now my BT HUB 5 has stopped working. I have tried everything to fix it (restarting, factory reset etc) and none of it was working; so I called bt support who determined that the hub was faulty and they agreed to give me another hub which will be delivered by the end of the week.

Sadly I don't believe I will be able to go without broadband for a week so I was wondering if I could dig out one of my older hubs (hub 3 or 4 - can't remember) as a temporary solution to replace my broken hub until the new one comes. I use a dsl connection if that helps.

Thanks πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can I use an old bt hub?

Go to solution
only if you do not have infinity
0 Ratings
Mavro
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Yeah I think I do.

Thanks anyway
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
try it if you have infinity then the hub3/4 it will not work unless you have an Openreach modem
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Mavro

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry about the problems you've had with your Hub 5 recently.  I understand that one is on route which should get you sorted.

If you had an ADSL service then the Hub 3/4 would keep you going as they'd be just plug and play.  However, from what you have written it looks like you have BT Infinity (FTTC) and in that case you'd need a separate white Openreach modem connected between the Hub 3/4 and the socket to get a connection.

Can you confirm which service you have please as if you do indeed have a BT Infinity service I'll give you a hand to move this thread to a more relevant section on the forum.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Mavro
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Hi,
I do have the BT infinty service.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for posting back to confirm that @Mavro

I have moved the thread to the BT Infinity board.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Mavro
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks
0 Ratings
Mavro
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Hi Robbie,

I found an old separate openreach modem:
(https://imgur.com/a/6ZmqF).
Would this work to connect between the socket and hub 3/4. If so how would I do it?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Yes @Mavro

That will work.

You will need to connect the grey cable from your phone line into the openreach modem.  You then need to connect an ethernet cable from LAN1 on the Openreach modem to the RED ethernet port on the Hub.  When the modems were sent out a RED ethernet cable was included for this use.  I'd say any ethernet cable will work but maybe one of the guys on here will confirm for sure? @john46 @imjolly @Keith_Beddoe

That's all there is to it (including power obviously Smiley Very Happy). All wired devices will be connected to your Hub.  Any wireless devices will need to be connected to this Hub you're going to use in the meantime using the wireless key that's normally on the back/bottom of the Hub.

You may be able to find videos on Youtube that shows how to set it up?

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings