cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKPete
Message 1 of 12

Can I use my white BT Infinity wall box as a two-port wired hub?

Go to solution

I have a BT Infinity installation consisting of master socket connected to white Infinity modem box connected by Ethernet to the Home Hub, wired and wireless connections to the Home Hub are all working fine and I have internet access without any problems

I see that the white Infinity box has two ethernet ports (one currently unused). It would be convenient to use the second one to connect my sky box to the internet, but when I connect an Ethernet lead between the two the sky box still shows no connection. Am I doing something silly here?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can I use my white BT Infinity wall box as a two-port wired hub?

Go to solution

@MKPete wrote:

I have a BT Infinity installation consisting of master socket connected to white Infinity modem box connected by Ethernet to the Home Hub, wired and wireless connections to the Home Hub are all working fine and I have internet access without any problems

I see that the white Infinity box has two ethernet ports (one currently unused). It would be convenient to use the second one to connect my sky box to the internet, but when I connect an Ethernet lead between the two the sky box still shows no connection. Am I doing something silly here?

You don't plug the sky box into the white modem, instead plug your skybox into a spare ethernet port on the HomeHub.

0 Ratings
MKPete
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I assume that I could connect it to the Home Hub without any problems. However, connecting to the (modem?) would be much more convenient because the modem and SKy box are close together and the Home Hub is a long way away. Going via the HH would require me to drape another long CAT5 across the room, and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

The presence of two ports labelled LAN1 and LAN2 on the white box made me think I had an Ethernet port available in the right place but it doesn't seem to be working, hence my question: should I be able to connect an ethernet cable to LAN2 and get getwork access from there?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@MKPete wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I assume that I could connect it to the Home Hub without any problems. However, connecting to the (modem?) would be much more convenient because the modem and SKy box are close together and the Home Hub is a long way away. Going via the HH would require me to drape another long CAT5 across the room, and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

The presence of two ports labelled LAN1 and LAN2 on the white box made me think I had an Ethernet port available in the right place but it doesn't seem to be working, hence my question: should I be able to connect an ethernet cable to LAN2 and get getwork access from there?

The LAN2 can't be used for that purpose, all connections must go thru the homehub.

MKPete
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for clarifying - I will give up on that idea then. Just out of curiosity, what is in that white box in networking terms - is it a modem plus three port router, or something like that? I'm trying to imagine why it has *two* LAN ports, and a router is the only thing I can think of that makes sense for that.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

It's a modem.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The sticker covering lan 2 saying "not in use" meant nothing to you then lol. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@MKPete wrote:
Thanks for clarifying - I will give up on that idea then. Just out of curiosity, what is in that white box in networking terms - is it a modem plus three port router, or something like that? I'm trying to imagine why it has *two* LAN ports, and a router is the only thing I can think of that makes sense for that.

It's actually a "Home Gateway" i.e. a modem/router but it has been locked down and set up as a modem.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
MKPete
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

There was no sticker saying 'not in use'.

A locked down modem+router makes perfect sense. It explains the observed behaviour and also explains why there was a redundant ethernet port.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Well the hg612 huawei model is a stripped down modem/router. The wifi chip and associated parts and two of the four lans are taken out. Leaving one for the hub and another left for future use. The other modem in use may have been custom built as just a modem for openreach. 

0 Ratings