Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Watcher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Can connect ok but only get page cannot be displayed

Go to solution

I have an odd problem. I can connect ok but I receive page cannot be displayed when I try to reach a web page. However, I have no problem if I go through my VPN.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can connect ok but only get page cannot be displayed

Go to solution

Hi @Watcher

Is your device's IP and DNS settings all correct?

if you go to http://216.58.208.46/ does it load one of google's services?

You can test your dns by opening a  cmd or terminal window and typing in nslookup bbc.co.uk

or to test it with a different dns server, for example using google's dns, type nslookup bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Watcher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I have checked various settings both on the hub and on Windows. When a go to the google site it works ok. Even though I don't think it is being used yet I checked IPV6 settings and found the DNS setting to be to get an adress automatically. I checked the IPV4 settigs, which should be in use, and odd thing was that the DNS was set to 10.23.0.1. This strikes me as a strange address. I also checked the Hub settings and found the following:

Default Gateway: 172.16.18.149

Primary DNS: 213.120.234.58

Secondary DNS: 62.6.40.178

I am fairly certain that it is a DNS problem but am not sure where to go from here.

0 Ratings
Watcher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I investigated the strange address and the only info I could find about it is that it could be a rougue server. when I tried to log onto it access was forbidden. So I changed the DNS setting on IPV4 to automatic and the problem seems to be gone. I checked and the change does not seem to have affected my VPN, which I use for financial transactions to the US. Now my question is how the setting got changed. I guess something could have gotten past Norton and the HUB. The suggestions were very helpful in getting to the solution.

0 Ratings