cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Can my download speed be improved?

Go to solution

I am about 300 metres from the cabinet. My FTTC dropwire which is approx. 12mm dia. translucent polythene covered steel armoured cable (circa 1973), comes underground through the estate, down my drive to the electricity meter box then up in the cavity to a brown, lozenge shaped GPO 3 way junction box in the loft. From there on it goes to an NTE5a master socket now with filtered faceplate.

BT estimated my download speed would be 43Mbps - 50 Mbps, upload speed would be between 8 and 9 Mbps - Stayfast guarantee 36 Mbps download. Fastest download and upload speeds 51Mbps and 9Mbps.

The quiet line test is good, almost silent. I would add that my router stats are WiFi as my HP laptop has no Ethernet socket. I have pasted my line data and router stats below - apologies for the small size, I keep getting warnings about exceeding 333kbps.

Could an expert on these matters please be kind enough to look at these data and advise me on my situation and if improvement is possible? Thank you.

TeeBee1_8-1617043773256.png

TeeBee1_9-1617044950700.png

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Can my download speed be improved?

Go to solution

If the quiet line test is only almost silent the it isn't good. Any noise will affect your braodband.

Besides the important part of the checker result being difficult to read you also missed out the exchange and cab number.

For images instead of reducing the dimensions to get the file size down use a free jpeg optimiser.

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/ 

Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Have you tried connecting to test socket with a filter and repost your router stats  do you have any extension phone sockets in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your rapid reply and sorry for the over-enthusiastic editing.

My cabinet is Child Okeford 1 a Huawei cabinet which is just about in visible distance of my home.

As I am almost 80 years old my hearing is probably not perfect but all I can hear on Quiet line test, if I try hard, is a faint hiss - a bit like the sound of the sea in a seashell when I was a kid.

Thanks, I will investigate a file optimiser prog. as you suggest.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your rapid reply and I have tried the test socket with a micro-filter but there is no difference. I do have a filtered faceplate on the NTE5a which totally separates  the only extension's wiring and uses a separate socket for the phone line.

Thanks for the thought though.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

when you used the test socket with filter was there no difference in connection speed but what about the attainable speed and noise margin.  did you also check when in test socket there was no dial tone at your extension socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

I did not check the attainable speed in the test socket I am afraid but there would have been no dialling tone at extension phone as the test I did was during fitting the filtered face plate and I had not yet fitted the wires to the extension as I had no PDC tool then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am fairly sure that I would just manage to reach the  Stayfast guarantee speed with an Ethernet connection as with my previous laptop, the sync. speed was just the bit higher wire connected but my new HP Envy has only WiFi so speed is that bit lower even close to TP-Link VR2800 router.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

I got there in the end I hope.

Child Okeford Cabinet 1

Child Okeford Cabinet 1Child Okeford Cabinet 1

Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

I’ve seen plenty of articles on the web with a variety of supposed solutions, and non of them really seem to work. What are the actual legit ways of increasing internet speed from home? If you even can make a tangible difference.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

your connection speed is way below that expected for your line according to dslchecker.  if you can hear a slight hiss then I would report a phone fault not broadband to 150 and get engineer visit

it would have been interesting to see stats when connected to test socket with filter

0 Ratings