cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Can my download speed be improved?

Go to solution

@TeeBee1 

Since your HP Envy does not have an ethernet port, there are adaptor options available to you if you really wanted to connect via ethernet - USB to Ethernet.

I would focus on getting that line hiss sorted first as recommended by @imjolly 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you all, I will be arranging to borrow my old MacBook Pro in the next few days because I know that does have Ethernet facilities. I wonder why modern laptops such as the HP Envy 15 and even the new MacBooks I notice have done away with Ethernet sockets in favour of USB C? I guess to facilitate thinner and thinner cases.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

I have now tested my line via an old MacBook Pro with the Ethernet cable connected to a micro-filter and into the BT test socket on my NTE5a master socket. Not much difference it appears to me but about 2 more Mbps on the TP-Link VR 2800 sync  speed. Hope the images are large enough to read.

Child Okeford Cabinet 1 (Huawei)

TeeBee1_0-1617304843061.png

TeeBee1_1-1617304939244.png

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Your  connection is still terrible compared to your expected range from dslchecker results  your attainable is also very low and suggests a problem with your connection/line and I would suggest you phone 150 and get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

@TeeBee1 

Just to add to @imjolly comments, the error packets for just 10 mins connect time looks very bad to me.

Also my attentuation is 33 up & 15 down and my speeds are approx 12m & 57m so with your far better (lower) figures you should be getting much better speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for comment, I am not clear about the relationship between attenuation which is not dreadful and SNR and SNR Margin which I believe fall near the target figure BT use to decide the DLM setting. I am not ANY kind of expert though!
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you all and especially @imjolly  and @pippincp for your patience and suggestions. An engineers visit would seem to be the best way to go although I will not be amused if I am told that my line meets the 36Mbps Stayfast guarantee criterion (it is close) and that I will be charged for the visit! 

I need to wait about 3 weeks for my recent Pfizer vaccination to "mature" before having a home visit from an engineer just to be safe.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Not near enough target SNR and shows a line problem. With a good line on a Huawei cab your noise margin should be about 3.0dB with G.INP or 6.0dB without.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Some feedback on my original post as thanks to the experts here who gave up their time to help me.

After a delay with Covid jabs etc I phoned 150 and reported my slow line speed as advised.

A Cube engineer came, changed my NTE5a to a 5C but declined to touch the C1973 underground dropwire - house wiring connection (6 joints in 6 inches). He escalated the problem to OR. but nothing happened so I made another appointment for an OR. engineer. 

He was brilliant, he neatly terminated the connection with 2 jelly crimps and spent in total, 2.5 days (yes, really), following my underground line back to the cabinet 200m away. He found an underground junction box not shown on OR. plans and reduced the V. high cross-talk figures.

I have posted the results after the DLM has gradually increased the line speed, a terrific improvement! Downloads via oopla @ 42+ Mbps are common now, not 26-27 Mbps as previously. My line is close to the 50/10 profile stated by the engineer.BT line copy.jpg

TeeBee1_0-1621241283234.png

Thank you all again.

Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

@TeeBee1 

You can provide feedback to Openreach, its always appreciated.

https://www.openreach.com/thank-an-engineer-form