cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Can someone please advise over 'Downstream sync speed' on my router?

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is answerable here but here goes: 

My router (and BT) I have had for a year has always shown the Download Sync Speed as 55mbps (download) and 10mbps (upload). This gives me speeds in my home as 49.2mbps and 9.5mbps respectively.

During the nights over the past year, the router seems to 'reset' itself occasionally but always returns to the above speeds.

However, for the past two days the router is showing 49mbps (download sync speed) but the upload has stayed the same at 10mbps upload. My internet speed as dropped to 42.4mbps in my home.

Cannot get through to BT at present as this is 'not an emergency'.

All sounds petty, i know, but does anyone know why this should be?  Are they doing this on purpose?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Can someone please advise over 'Downstream sync speed' on my router?

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

One of 2 things is probably happening.

1. You have a line fault which is causing DLM to reduce your speed in order to provide a stable service.

2. As more customers have been connected to your cabinet crosstalk has increased and reduced your speed.

Can you post a screenshot of the hub stats and a screenshot of the DSL checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Remember to edit out your phone number in the checker screenshot before posting

Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

55Mb sounds like the package you are on , what is the max attainable rate shown in your router stats ?, your throughput is always less than your sync rate , but if your throughput used to be better than it is now, and your sync rate hasn’t changed , perhaps you are on a congested VLAN , try off peak times to compare.

Any speed tests should be on a wired connection, if using ‘wireless’ , perhaps someone nearby has switched broadband provider , or just got broadband, and their new ‘WiFi’ is affecting yours.

Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have line checked with my corded phone and it seems ok but not fully silent (very slightly noisey but maybe I am being too picky).

redmike58_0-1591969449778.png

Please let me know if I have done this wrong.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

you are not being picky.  if you can hear any noise then that is a problem as line should be silent and may well be the cause of your drops in connection and reduced speed   you need to report a phone fault not broadband to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

redmike58_0-1591970057086.png

redmike58_1-1591970300854.png

Hello, these are the two screenshots 'before and after'.

I have screenshots from most of the year showing a 'normal' 55mbps download speed. It is only recently that the download speed has changed to 49mbps.

Mant thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Can you post a screenshot from the full stats page please, rather than just the status.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hi, all throughout the year I have been with BT my router speed via this method has always been 49.2mbps (download) in my home as the down load sync speed is 55mbps. I am aware of those details (hardwiring etc).

I have kept the same testing method (occasionally using Ookla) but on the whole I use this service. That is really not the point here I am asking. It is why my internet speed has dropped from 'pole (or cabinet) to router rather than whatI get from router to appliance within the home. I am aware that that figure will be lower than 55mbps - which as I previously stated is 49.2mbps.

redmike58_0-1591971166221.png

The above screenshot is what I tend to get from various 'checkers'. I know it is not 100% correct in line with 'hard line' checking but it has remained consistent throughout the year.

I am now getting 42.2mbps or thereabouts. What I am asking is why?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

You have been given 2 possible reasons why and if you post the full hub stats we will have a better idea of what is going on. As you have a noisy line and 49M is a DLM banded profile, your speed has probably been reduced because of the fault.

0 Ratings