Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Can't access my domain website or email

Go to solution

I wonder if anyone can guide me to a solution please?

As of this afternoon I cannot acces my domain website or email when using BT infinity connection. I first noticed when I tried to use the email facility (Outlook) and got a message saying that 'The server name you entered cannot be found on the network'. I assumed that the domain hosts had a server problem and left it for an hour or so to see if it resolved itself - it didn't.

I then tried to access the Cpanel for the domain in order to access via webmail  and got a message 'Firefox can't find the server at........'  At this point I rang the domain hosts support line and they tried a few tests but concluded that the problem was with BT, they suggested that i try accessing the web page and the email using 3G and this works fine.

I have tried resetting the HH5 to defaults but still cannot acces this particular website or my email server.

Could anyone suggest a way to overcome this please? Hopefully without contacting BT customer services!.

Also can someone explain under what circumstances this situation can arise? all other websites (that I use regularly) can be accessed without problem, what is it that is preventing me getting on to my own website?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't access my domain website or email

Go to solution

Sounds like a possible DNS problem. You can try changing your DNS servers to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 If you have a home hub, you will have to change DNS on your PC as they are not configurable on the HH.

Edit: If you know the IP address of the site you are trying to connect to, enter that in the address bar of your browser and see if you can connect.

rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the excellent advice, changing the DNS to Google has solved the problem.

Still not sure what would have caused this though? do you have any idea?

0 Ratings
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Apologies, back again with a related problem that I would like some guidance on please.

Having sorted out my initial problem by following the advice above I now have a situation where I can access the email account via 3G but not via WiFi from my HH5 - 'Error synchronising mail : error connecting'.

I also have a HH4 running off a Plusnet account and that connects fine using the same email account via WiFi , so it suggests that the problem is with the HH5 setup in some way.

Any advice or possible solutions please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you have not changed the DNS on the device it will still be using the BT DNS when it connects to the Homehub. When on 3g it will be using your 3g providers DNS.

You could try and change the DNS on the Homehub. Some people have been able to do it while other have not had that option.

See this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/Manual-DNS-settings-please-for-home-hub-5/td...

rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks,

Changing the DNS on my Android phone cured this.

Much appreciated

0 Ratings