cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stoli412
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can't get fibre installed because can't find key to cabinet?!

I was scheduled to have phone, fibre, and TV installed on Monday. Engineer came round, got everything connected in the house and made sure the phone line was working, then he went to find my fibre cabinet. It's a new cabinet that just went live in August. He comes back to my house and says he's found it but he doesn't have the key for it. He calls his supervisor, then says he will come back later with the correct key. He calls me back later in the day to say that no one can find the key, and it will have to wait until tomorrow. He doesn't call me back the next day, so I ring him and he says another engineer should be finishing the job today. I wait all day, still no broadband. Wake up this morning, still no broadband. I ring the engineer again, and he says "Look, it's not my problem the key's gone missing. Ring BT."

I ring BT, who put me on hold forever so they can speak to BT Wholesale to see what’s happening. I get disconnected (as usual). They call me back a bit later and say they’ve booked a new appointment for the 18th (!!), but they will try to have that “brought forward”, and someone should ring me tomorrow to let me know what’s happening.

I really can’t believe this is the resolution. It’s going to take 2 weeks to find the key for the fibre cabinet and finally get me connected?! Assuming they can even find the key. It’s beyond absurd that they’ve lost the key to begin with.

I’m very dissatisfied and I’m thinking of just cancelling the whole order and sticking with Virgin.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't get fibre installed because can't find key to cabinet?!

Hi @stoli412

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I'm sorry for the delay installing your BT Infinity service.  I understand from what you have written that the engineer can't complete the work as they can't find the key to the cabinet which doesn't look very good Smiley Frustrated

Have you got any further forward since posting this?  If you're still having problems you can send us over your details and we'll help you from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Sounds like it was a contractor rather than an Openreach engineer. BT (your ISP) can't source a key for an Openreach cabinet.

0 Ratings
stoli412
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I had a call from BT on Thursday. Intitially they said the repeat installation appointment on the 18th stands and there is nothing they could do about it. I explained again what happened with the locked fibre cabinet and missing key. They put me on hold for a while and came back and said they've escalated the issue with Openreach. Openreach need to 'investigate' what the problem is and see if they can resolve the issue, and then possibly move up the appointment. BT are supposed to ring me back on Monday with an update.

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

The new dual Copper/DSLAMS require a Multilock Key as well as a Pillar Key to open.

Or it could be in a dodgy area or house high security circuits so had an additional padlock on it.

Either way not many Contractors have the keys necessary to open them. Which is a good thing!
0 Ratings
stoli412
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

So my rescheduled appointment was this morning. I took the day off work and waited. About 11:30, I get a text from BT saying my appointment has been rescheduled AGAIN to Wed 26th October! Absolutely furious! I rang BT and they said this time there was a problem with my order in the system and the order has to be 'rebuilt from scratch.' I've been promised a call back tomorrow to see if there's any chance of having the date moved up.

Really at the end of my rope with this. Order placed over a month ago now, two days off work, two botched appointments, and I still don't have service. How do BT get away with this?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Why have you taken the day off? Infinity is self install, there should be no need for an engineer to visit the house.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
stoli412
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I took the day off because they told me the engineer had to come in to make sure the TV was working, even though everything inside is already installed and ready to go. I agree, it's only work at the cabinet that's needed, but now there's a problem 'somewhere in the system'. Absolutely ridiculous.

0 Ratings