cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Cancel contract early

Can someone assist me with how to end my contract early without the termination fee? I am sick of the very poor stability and reliability of our broadband connection. It is consistently dropping out on our sky q boxes, the Xbox, mobile phones etc. I have gone through troubleshooting many times and always get the answer back that all is fine and there are no issues on my line, yet I have never experienced such an unreliable connection. I have tried to persevere but am now at the point that I need to leave BT, but unfortunately my contract doesn’t end until April ‘22. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cancel contract early

@Linbers 

Welcome to this user forum. Your post here does not go to BT, but there are some BT moderators here who can help, if forum members cannot solve the problem.

You would not be able to cancel your contract unless BT agree that they cannot repair your service, which is very unlikely.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements. A noisy phone line is the most likely cause of disconnections.

Which BT home hub do you have, and do the lights on the home hub change colour when you get the disconnections?

Is it just wireless connected devices that are affected, or are Ethernet connected devices affected as well?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi Keith, thanks for the response.

Yes I am sure you are right that they are unlikely to agree that they can’t resolve my issues, but I very much doubt they can.

We don’t use a landline phone so I am unable to check the noise on the line.

I believe it is the Smart Hub 2, or at least that’s what they config page says when accessed through a browser. The lights don’t change when the connection drops out, as it isn’t across all devices which is the most frustrating part, if it was it would probably be easier to identify and resolve.

Yes it does appear to only be wireless devices, we only have 2 devices on Ethernet so less likely for me to notice those dropping out, but I think they are fine. The whole system just seems to be poor. My Sky Q boxes never hold a connection, I find myself resetting their connection at least 5-10 times a day, and then give up. I know this is a known issue, BT will blame Sky and vice versa, but it’s a key part of what I use the internet for and can’t get the service I paid for. Then the children’s Xbox’s regularly lag or disconnect completely, then reconnect and do this frequently. I often find nothing loads on my mobile phone despite showing it’s connected to WiFi, and have to switch the WiFi on my phone, and occasionally the router, to get things working again.

I just find it really poor throughout and want to leave BT, but was disappointed to find my contract doesn’t end until Apr 2022.

If there are ways to fix all of my issues then great, but honestly I don’t believe there are?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Just to add I also have 3 WiFi discs attached to this router

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Your SKYQ box uses channel 36 on 5ghz network to connect to the mini box so make sure you set the hub 5ghz network to use a different channel to 36 probably 44 or 48

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I have already set my 5Ghz network to use channel 44, so presume this should be a good thing? Or should I be setting it back to “smart” and allowing it to figure out what is best for itself?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

you can use a wifi analyser on your phone to see channels in use near you so you can choose a free of less congested channel. 44 should be ok but you could try 48 but I would not go back to auto/smart

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Have you turned off Smart Setup?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Yes I’m using channel 1 on 2.4ghz and channel 44 on 5Ghz as these were the least used

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Yes smart setup is switched off, any other suggestions? Appreciating the help thank you

0 Ratings