Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bru713
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Cancelling contract

Go to solution

Had awful recent customer service. After 2 x 45 minute live chat conversations (gave up trying to get through on phone) was acknowledged not getting full promised speed and would send an engineer. The gentlemen then kept offering me various slots for visit despite me reiterating the days and times I could do . Eventually understood and he gave me a 2 hour slot for visit. Looked online as had no confirmation and he has booked a different slot when I will be at work. So just rang and taken 50 minutes to be told slot can't be cancelled . I've advised I haven't booked that slot and won't be in. Advised they can't help ! I have said I want out of contract as not getting promised speed which BT have acknowledged and proving impossible to get engineer booked. The lady would not give me her full name and was quite ride in assuring me I could not come out of contract without paying way out. Would not answer me when I said I'm not getting my promised service. I'm left with a faulty line , an engineer visit i can't  be in for that I didn't agree to and being told I can't come out of contract . Any advice please ?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Cancelling contract

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @Bru713  sorry that the appointment was not booked as agreed and you are not getting the speed expected. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team. 
Check here:
https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John

RobFletcher
Expert
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

I'm also pretty fed up with a fault not being fixed since August. I've waited in all day for an engineer who has not phoned or called. This was booked yesterday after phoning again after a week to say the fault was not fixed . Raised in on the 26th Aug, and they said it will be fixed Monday, and to call Wednesday  if not. 

Again, the fault tracker now says it's all fixed. But, it's not.  The hub has been up for over a week now after I was told to reset it (paperclip in hole!). All that did was knock off more download speed and reduced my upload to 8 megs.

I've been paying for an 80/20 package since November 2011. Until now it's been great, even though the speed had reduced from 66/17 to 52/14, this was acceptable. Now it's 37/8 ... 

I need to know how to get out of the contract, which is up in December and move to Virgin who can do me 230 down and 20 up for much less than my 80/20 package!

Rob.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

You need to let BT try and get your connection fixed and speed back to within expected range. The best way to achieve this is to take up mod over of assistance. They will see you until problem is resolved. You can then move in December if you still want to go to virgin without any problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

@RobFletcher 

Your 37/8 is within the accepted range, as you posted on your other thread, and is above the handback threshold. Your initial speed may have been higher when there were fewer people connected to the cabinet, and there was no crosstalk.

As it is, you would not be able to cancel without penalty.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Bru713
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Using bt speed checker I'm getting 24mbps download each time i test it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

All speeds quoted by BT including the dslchecker are connection speeds not download speeds. No ISP guarantees download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Bru713
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you , I wasn't aware of that .

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

What I want to know though is WHY I have suddenly gone from the top of what the line would support - I was getting 50 megs or so for the last few years - and now in the last 2 months I am getting 37 megs.

The loss coincided with the sudden rash of disconnects when the hub had been stable for years and years without any disconnects hardly ever  during the year.  I don't believe for one instant that this loss of speed is due to a sudden rash of new subscribers causing congestion and/or extra crosstalk.

Many many people in this area are having the same issues. Also, in the last few months I would guess there has been a big move to Virgin Media given their cheaper and better offering, as everyone now has a port at their property boundary. Given this, people will be migrating away from the FTTC be it BT, PlusNet, TalkTalk or Sky as an ISP.

The engineer found yet another fault on the line outside the property and fixed this. 5 faults on the line so far - my question is how many more will they find? Will they find the issue which has caused this big drop I speed, even though as you say, it's within limits!

Interesting that the signal attenuation is 29.2 upload and 19.3 download. Nose margins are now 6.8 and 7.0. 

Again, both noise margins changed from  6.1 when I was asked to do a hard reset on the hub (pin in the hole jobby).

So, from this I would still argue there's something not right with the line. The problem for me is how long can I keep reporting this as a "fault"????

Thanks

Rob.

0 Ratings