Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: Cancelling contract

Go to solution

If your connection was dropping often then that would cause the DLM to take action to try and stabilise your connection by increasing your noise margin and reduce your connection speed.  This could happen in stages with eventually ending with your connection in a banded profile

until you can get a stable connection you are not going to get any improvement in your connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

I understand this … how do I find out how "unstable" my line is? The speed tests I have been doing over the last couple of months are very stable, within a few tenths of a meg. Pretty much invariant. 

Should I force the DLM into action by resetting the hub? Will the BT Wholesale tests show differences in the IP Profiles if the DLM has been inaction?

My upload IP Profile has always been 20, but I have only been getting 8 or 9. It's 39.2/20 at the moment.

I couple of weeks ago it was 43.5/20 ...

After doing their test (via the emailed link) testing exchange to hub and hub to device - it's been escalated to a case manager again (first time there was no actual response from a case manager!), and an engineer has been booked again for next week … and so the saga continues ...

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

You want a stable connection with no drops in connection and certainly no manual resets.  You need to watch the dsl connection time in hub stats and hope it stays connected and does not keep resetting. Hopefully engineer will find and fix problem and then reset DLM

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Bru713
Beginner
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Hi further to this from the BT site :

The minimum download speed is the lowest speed we think you should get with this package.

You can test the speed to your hub in My BT. If it’s slower than it should be, get in touch and we’ll do our best to fix it.

If we can’t improve it within 30 days, you can leave your contract without penalty. This is because we’ve signed up to the Ofcom Voluntary Codes of Practice on Broadband Speed.

My speed using the speed test in My BT is 24mbps

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

The hub has not had a disconnect for 10 days. That was on the advice of the advisor. Prior to that it had been up for 7 days. Again, that disconnect was because I was asked to switch it on and off. Basically it' s been up and stable for many weeks- basically since BT fixed the first set of line faults.

Of course doing a reset has cleared my logs, so I have no hard history other than what I know.

As I said before, it was stable without any disconnects for years - power cuts being the only reason I know about.

The last advisor said the line is capable of the higher speeds, which is why he escalated it … what info he has to support that claim is not clear to me other than the BT Support speed tests I did which didn't display the results to me!

Rob.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @RobFletcher,

Sorry to hear that you are still unhappy with your connection speeds. 

If you feel that there is still a fault on the line it would be best if we took a look into this for you. Have you taken @JohnC2 up on his offer to have the MOD team look into this for you?

Matt

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks Matt,

Not sure how I get the mods involved? Info on how to contact them would be useful.

I'll see what gives after the case manager has been in contact and engineer visit next week.

I fully understand that I am getting the speed range expected for the IP Profile for the line. The MyBT speed test says that the exchange to hub is SLOW and something therefore needs to/can be done. Says exchange to hub is 37.6.

I didn't reboot the hub as instructed by the next steps - seems the advice is to not do that.

Is it possible that there's some odd fault with the connection of my line from the wired cab to the fibre cab (they are next to each other)? The Openreach engineering manager for this area is a family friend, but don't want to get him involved at present. I remember the old days of "lift and shift" which did work wonders now and then 🙂 

Rob.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @RobFletcher,

If you have a case handler and an engineer booked for next week then you shouldn't need the Mod team to look into the issue as your case handler should manage the case until resolution. Just encase you do though I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

@RobFletcherwrote:

My upload IP Profile has always been 20, but I have only been getting 8 or 9. It's 39.2/20 at the moment.

Your Upload Profile is 20 because you are on Superfast 2.  Superfast 1 is 10.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks

So the upload IP Profile is invariant then?

What's the difference in price between Superfast 1 and Superfast 2? Clearly I have been on the wrong package for some time?

Rob.

0 Ratings