cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
modo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 49

Cannot connect to PS4. Web pages often do not load.

I cannot use the Playstation Network, or any other online features, whilst using my PS4. For some reason we cannot get the internet working with our PS4. We have the same issues with the PS3 console. We also connected to the PS4 using a 3g hotspot connection from our phone and it worked perfectly. These issues have only surfaced since BT Infinity was installed. Web pages often load slowly, and in some case it can take a few refreshes until it does load. 

The speed of our wired and wireless internet is fast. Roughly 50mb - although it does fluctuate. Streaming and downloading, once the website actually loads, is very good.

It seems as if something, and i can only imagine it is the router, is blocking the connection - or at least hindering it.

We have had an engineer visit and he was unable to fix either issue; he also noted that their were no faults on our end. He did manage to briefly get web pages to load more quickly, google searches are painful, by changing a few settings, but within an hour or two the same issues began to persist.

A replacement Home Hub 5 was sent to us yet it has made no difference. We were told to wait four days for things to settle with the new router but it has been 4 days and no change thus far. Googling hasn't really helped.

I was wondering if anybody else has had similar issues or perhaps a solution to this problem. It's very frustrating.

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 49

Re: Cannot connect to PS4. Web pages often do not load.

If you connect a desktop or laptop computer directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, do web pages load without any problems?

0 Ratings
modo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 49

There is no difference with a wired connection for both the browsing issues or the PS4 issues. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 49

Try turning off "Smart Set Up" on the homehub. It can cause problems with some devices.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/c/

0 Ratings
modo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 49

That's what the engineer did; it seemed to initally work but then the problems came back. I'll try it again when i get home. In any case it didn't sort out the PS4 issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 49

Once you have done that delete the connection from the PS4 and reset/ restart it and make a new connection.

0 Ratings
modo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 49

Ok, so we've tried that and it hasn't worked either. We do have some functionality now though; apps and netflix work. Granted, this was before we disabled smart setup anyway.

I just don't get it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 49

Couple of things to try.

Connect by Ethernet but make sure that the wireless connection on the PS4 is turned off or not connected. This is to stop it trying to connect by wireless. If it runs OK it indicates a wireless problem.

If it runs OK after you have done the above, try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Once you have done that remake the wireless connection to the PS4 and see how you get on.

You'll need to connect your other devices that can use both frequencies to both SSids if you want them to be able to use both frequencies.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
modo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 49

Firstly, thanks for your help. Unfortuantely this has made no difference. I tried the SSID name change last week and that didnt help. The ethernet connection also didn't help. 

Yesterday, via telephone, the BT guy noted that their may have been a line fault for our street and that an engineer will try and fix it on the 9th.

I guess i'll just have to wait till then. I can't help but think it won't help though. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 49

If you are able to use the Internet on your other devices a "line fault" will not be causing your problem with the PS4. I suspect that the customer service operator that you spoke to didn't have a clue what he was talking about and used that as an excuse to get you off the phone!

When you made the Ethernet connection did you have the wireless connection on the PS4 disabled?

Check out this link, it's for the Homehub 4 but should be more or less the same with the HH5.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14103/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MTgyODc3L...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43715

0 Ratings