Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smartsmart6
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Change network username and password on by business hub 6

Go to solution

Hi I bought a bt business hub of eBay anyway I did speak to bt about using a bt business smart hub 6 in my house and they said it was fine anyway my question is how do I change the network username and password on the router or isn’t there any need to do this I’m just worried about the security side of it.

the router is great better than my hub 5 and the signal is much better upstairs well all over the house.

i do have FTTP connection.

anyway I hope to hear from someone soon 

Steve 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Change network username and password on by business hub 6

Go to solution

There isn't any need but if you wish to it should be the same process as your previous residential hub.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, business hubs use unique network names and passwords unlike residential hubs which use the generic bthomehub@btbroadband.com and bt. I would factory reset the device to clear out all previous configuration.

0 Ratings
smartsmart6
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi yes I done s factory reset but the username and password are still there if I delete both there is no where to save changes so I don’t now what to do can anyone access my router if they had the network username and password or shall I just forget it 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Who in your locality would have the network user name/password? That is only to set up a wireless connection.

0 Ratings
smartsmart6
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Sorry if I sound silly as I not a tech person but I bought it from a reputable person of eBay if he had the username and password could he do anything with it that’s all I’m asking

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

The network username and password are what you use to authenticate your connection to the internet, and for business users are unique. I can't see that the hub will authenticate on a residential connection unless using the generic PPP credentials I posted. It seems odd that you can't delete the existing config. Are you sure you are performing a factory reset, you need to press the recessed button for about 20/30 seconds until the lights flash.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

Who in your locality would have the network user name/password? That is only to set up a wireless connection.

That is the wireless password, not network user name and password.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@smartsmart6  Are you talking about network username and password or wireless name and password?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Niether set of credentials would give access to the Hub.

0 Ratings