cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Changing BT SmartHub 6

I'm looking to change my current BT SmartHub modem router for something more substantial.

I currently have BT Broadband Fibre 2 with stayfast guaranteed of 52Mbps. I currently have 23-25 devices connected, such as my home security system, cameras, smart speakers, TVs, BT TV, laptops and phones etc. I want something that has better range and can handle lots of devices. I also want to manage traffic better and options such as hide SSID etc.

I want to go for a separate modem and router option.

Firstly, what modem do people recommend? I was looking at the OpenReach HG612 or DrayTekVigor 130. Any other recommendations welcome.

Also what routers are people using that it work well with BT Broadband? I want something with good range/coverage and powerful CPU so it can handle multiple devices and hopefully tri-band so I can keep a dedicated band for either gaming or security.

Finally, will I still be okay for BT TV through this option or will it not work?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Changing BT SmartHub 6

The OpenReach Huawei HG612 is a rock solid modem, I would recommend either buying an unlocked one or unlock it yourself which is quite easy. Info HERE.

The  Asus RT-AX88U is very popular if your budget stretches to it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

The budget does stretch to that. Is it worth going for a tri band or Wifi 6 or both?

Also, is it easy to setup the modem? You say they are solid, will I be okay buying a refurbed one?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The modem is plug and play, the only reason to unlock it is to gain access to the line stats. They are effectively only available from Ebay, so unused or refurb makes no difference.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks. Any thoughts on  the TP Link Archer AX6000 router versus the Asus one above?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Please remove the link, it is against forum rules. Only you can decide if it meets your requirements.

0 Ratings