cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Changing Providers: Is There a Risk to Speed?

Go to solution

@CJT80 wrote:

@Paul608085 

If you migrate from one provider to another at the same address there should be only a brief loss of service.

It would only be if you moved that you would face an issue.

I left BT and joined another provider and the transfer was done at 5 am, I didn't even know.

You join the new provider who handles the migration.  You don't contact BT to cancel, or this causes more issues.

Its still a cease and re-provide. The cease would release the port to the next Openreach order, but there may not be a port left to do the provide, so the order will  fail.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Well that's interesting because I was told my CAB was full and swapped providers and it didn't affect me... so how does that figure?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

You were either extremely lucky or although full, there was nobody else waiting for a spare port so you just got your old port back without anybody else diving in.

Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

@licquorice @Keith_Beddoe 

Then I stand corrected, sorry @Paul608085 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Another thing to factor in is the wholesale provider, once the connection leaves the exchange then it comes down to the peering/transit agreements of the new provider.
This is why you see people having different speeds with different providers, the backhaul is the bottleneck.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Re: Changing Providers: Is There a Risk to Speed? - I have assu

Go to solution

@-Richie- 

I am aware that different ISPs each have their  own backhaul arrangements, and assumed that this is where the cheaper providers make some of their cost savings?(Cheap things are cheap for a reason).

I was more concerned about the potential for my local link dropping from the current 80MBits down to a possible max 15.5MB!

0 Ratings