cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Changing my exchange

Go to solution

Hi

Ive just moved and set up bt for the new address, when I did speed tests I was given a stay fast speed of 17mbps. I had an engineer round because guy on the phone said there was a problem with the line, when the engineer checked with the exchange he remarked how far away it was and that there are several closer exchanges that I could be using .

can i request from openreach to plug me into a closer one?  Engineer advised it's nearly 2 miles away from our house 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Changing my exchange

Go to solution

@ChrisPL91wrote:

can i request from openreach to plug me into a closer one? 

Openreach won't route a customer to another exchange for faster speeds sadly.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
i think this can be asked from bt to openreach sadly you can't ask the openreach person to connect you to close one as pos only bt can put a reqeust in to openreach to move the line i don't know about this you need to chat with bt about this i think it can be done
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

You cannot move exchange, the underground cable network is fixed and can't be altered.

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
if its FTTC it has diff line speeds in the cabnet they can put you on the wrong port or slot in there it happened to me before they can move you in the cabnet on the street
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@DaveJWalker 

changing port in cabinet is not the same thing as a different cabinet which openreach will not do just to improve your broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

For FTTC the exchange could be 100 miles away, it wouldn't make any difference to speed. It is distance from the cab  and the laws of physics that govern speed.

Every single port in a cab is capable (unless faulty) of 80Mbps

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
why did bt put you on a cabnet far away if its one closer that does not make sence.

there can be faulty onces i was on one they can move you in the box but i don't know if they can do this move you to a closer cabnet becuse its fibre to the cabnet to your home its copper wire.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@DaveJWalkerwrote:
why did bt put you on a cabnet far away if its one closer that does not make sence.

When a customer requests service, a technology check is ran to see what's available at the property, the customer will then be given options to choose from and decide if they want to go ahead, the order is then placed.

The result of the technology check is a result of the Openreach database records, it's common that an area can be served by more than one exchange or cabinet, my old house was at the end of 3 exchanges, the houses opposite and at the bottom of the street had FTTC enabled years before I could order and I was stuck on ADSL until my exchange and cabinet were updated.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

It is not possible to move a customer from one cabinet to another, except in the rare circumstance where an infill cabinet is provided between an existing cabinet and a village/collection of houses. When this happens, all the customers are moved en masse. It is simply not possible to move one customer from one cabinet to another at random.

0 Ratings