cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Changing noise margin is always changing speed

Hi, i have a problem with my noise margin changing and constantly changing my speed.

I seem to sync at 58-59 mb with maximum data at 60-61mb and noise margin at 6.

Then my noise margin drops to 3 and my max data drops to 46mb, so after 14 days when my router automatically reconnects my speed is then set to 45 mb and max data around 46.

Eventually the noise margin seems to rise to 9, then my max data rises to 60mb, so when my router next reconnects it is synced at 58-59mb, untill the noise margin drops to 3 again, max data drops and i think you can follow the rest as it just goes around in circles.

I am on an ECI cabinet so i would not expect my noise margin to drop as low as 3 as G.INP should not be enabled on an ECI cabinet.

Can anyone explain why this should happen as i would have thought everything should be stable with DLM as i have had fibre for some time.

When i was previously with Plusnet i had 2 different engineers called out as they said my line should be faster than it actually is. The 1st engineers found a problem with some of the wiring by the door where it enters the house and replaced the master box.

The 2nd engineer said everything looked ok to him.

The test socket seems to make no difference to speed.

I have enclosed some screen shots and an DSL checker image. bt 1.PNG bt 2.png bt 3.png

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Changing noise margin is always changing speed

Is router resetting apart from the 14 day reset?  If you connect to test socket does it help stability even if does nothing for speed?  Having been a 14 day sufferer I never had any speed problem as it always restarted with same speed and noise margin before and after reset

any noise on quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Hi and thanks for the reply.
No it seems to be 14 days when it resets and the speed that it syncs at remains stable throughout, it is only the noise margin and maximum data that changes.
After the router does its 14 day reset it always syncs to whatever the maximum data was at before the reset.

I havnt tried the test socket over a long period.
There is a bit of hissing on the quiet line test but I don't have a corded phone or know anyone who does.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

If there is a hiss on phoneline then you really need to check with corded phone in test socket to make sure the problem is outside your home to avoid the £129.99 callout charge. A £5investment in a cheap corded phone is well worth it to avoid the callout charge

as long as connection speed remains constant on the reset then fluctuating noise margin and attainable speed is normal as that happens all the time and not just when it resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Thanks, I will pick up a corded phone this weekend. 

I just thought a few things were a bit odd like my current snr is 2.9 on an ECI cabinet, a variation of 15 mb depending on snr between 3 and 9, the higher the snr the faster the speed.

How do my dsl checker results compare to my actual speed and how does my actual speeds compare to the router stats above?

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

your bottom range is 56mb and your current connection speed is 58mb so you are in range just at bottom

billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 7 of 28

Thanks, only problem is that my current max speed is 46mb so when my router resets again after 14 days then I will be synced at 45-46mb until my noise margin goes back up to 9 and my max speed increases again.Screenshot_20180911-120717.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

just need to wait and see and post back if problem

0 Ratings
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Screenshot_20181213-105502.png

IMG_20181213_110025.png

Hi, as you can see from the screen shots my speed my noise margin is still dropping to 3 so the next time my router connects it will sync at 45mbs  well below my estimates.

I am on an eci cabinet, dalton in furness cabinet 14 so from my understanding my noise margin should not be capable of dropping below 6.

Using the test socket makes no difference and I have tried a corded phone and whilst there are no pops or crackles on the quiet line test it is not completely silent although I don't know how to describe it as it is a constant sort of quiet sounding electrical hiss if that makes sense.

Can anyone at least confirm that my noise margin should not be dropping below 6 on an eci cabinet. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 28

The drops are very uniform, which would suggest that it's either a crosstalker disconnecting/reconnecting or a noise source that turns on and off. Do you know of anything that turns on when the noise margin drops? Your getting noise margin and target noise margin muddled up, which is easily done.

Your target noise margin has always been 6 dB, but the noise is causing your noise margin to fluctuate. When the Hub connects when the noise is present, the target noise margin is 6 dB, but it's connecting at a lower rate, but when the noise isn't there, it connects at a higher rate, but still at the same target noise margin.

When using a corded phone, there should be no noise at all. But, I don't think this problem is being caused by a noisy line, because you would be getting many more dropouts and the noise margin drops wouldn't be as uniform.