cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Checking whether ACTUALLY Fibre eligible

Go to solution

Is there a way to get BT to check the infrastructure of the cables connecting to my property? I've used multiple postcode checkers but it's a large rural area with traditionally only slow copper broadband cables. 

I've used Openreach and the BT postcode checker, both say there is fibre installed to the cabinet (where exactly that is, god knows), but I'm doubtful these are actually correct as there's been numerous problems in the past. With the current phone cable we're getting 7 Mbit/s maximum.  With the new working from home this is becoming tragic.

BT generically say on their checker we can get Fibre 1 of "up to" 20 Mbit/s, which again, I doubt very much if I were to upgrade the package because the internet cabling is so utterly dreadful in these parts.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Checking whether Fibre eligible

Go to solution

If you have a BT phoneline enter your number, if not enter your full address (not just postcode) in the checker, edit out phone number or address before posting. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Ah, thanks for the checker so promptly. I can see not much hope for the speeds even with upgrading. Fairly disappointing as, whilst rural, we are only 15 minutes from the city. After previous investigation I did look into FTTP but that would run into the tens of thousands most probably. Thanks very much.

FTTC.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

looks like you are on FTTC having moved from adsl.  

from the stats posted you were far better on the old adsl connection with speed better than estimated at 9.6mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
That's even more sad news. On the upside this FTTC seems slightly more reliable with less downtime than the problems in the past. When the wind blew, the internet went down.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

As @imjolly  says, you were better off with ADSL.

VDSL drops off very sharply with distance so although you may be further from the exchange than you are from the cabinet you are in the crossover zone where a longer ADSL signal is faster than a shorter VDSL signal.

0 Ratings