Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Clarification of settings when using non-BT router for Infinity

I have Infinity broadband.

I've bought an ASUS RT-AC3200 router as the wi-fi speeds on the first floor are quite slow compared with the ground floor (60% slower).

I understand if you want to use a third party router, you have to enter separate settings to get it to work, but I've read different accounts of this.

One place says the the login/username should be "broadband.user@btbroadband.com", another source says it should be "bthomehub@btbroadband.com".

One place says the password should be left blank, the other says that it may work initially with this password, but you will get intermittent drop outs/service faults unless you insert the password as "password".

Some clarification would be great!

I'm assuming these settings need to be entered into the router configuration page (192.168.x.x) - can you advise which page it would need to be entered in?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Clarification of settings when using non-BT router for Infinity

Use bthomehub@btbroadband.com and any password depending if you router needs a password or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

If you're connected to the internet with whatever settings you've input then you're connected.

The username or password you input doesn't dictate your speeds. It either works or it doesn't.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Sorry, should have clarified.

The speeds with my HH5 aren't great, and there is a 60% drop in speed on the first floor compared with the ground floor where the router is located.

That is why I've bought the third party router, and am currently waiting for it to be delivered.

Just wanted to clarify what settings I would have to input to get it to work when it gets here. And since I had heard conflicting reports of what I need to put in (and that if I didn't put the password correctly, it could lead to connection dropping out intermittently), I wanted to get some answers from here.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

That appears to be a wireless router so are you using an openreach modem otherwise it won't work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I wasn't planning on using a separate modem as all modern routers have modems inbuilt...? Or so I thought?

As I said, it hasn't been delivered yet, so I'm not yet using it. Just trying to be prepared for when it arrives.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

From the specs it is a wireless router not a modem router

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

It is only a wireless router not a modem/router. You will need to connect it to an Openreach modem in order to work.

If you don't have an Openreach modem you can get one on ebay for about £20/30.

You could also consider sending the router back and getting a VDSL modem/router instead.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Ah ok, thank you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Another question - 

I will now have to connect the modem to the socket, and then the wireless router to the modem.

Can the router be connected to the modem via Powerline adapters? Or will this slow things down? I ask this because it would allow me to move my router beyond my master phone socket to a place in the house where the signal would spread evenly.

0 Ratings