cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Clarification of settings when using non-BT router for Infinity

Are you not able to connect by Ethernet cable or better still follow the instructions given by imjolly on your other thread.

0 Ratings
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

I have cancelled that router and have now ordered the Asus RT-AC87U - this is a VDSL modem as well as wireless router, so no need to buy a separate modem. That has solved this issue.

I would like to do as imjolly suggested in the other thread, and change one of my non-master sockets into a master socket, to connect the router to a more central socket in the house. Never dealt with internal wiring though, so not sure if I would be able to do this. Wouldn't want to mess something up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

I posted a suggestion on how I would go about it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 21

@karansaraf wrote:

I have cancelled that router and have now ordered the Asus RT-AC87U - this is a VDSL modem as well as wireless router, so no need to buy a separate modem. That has solved this issue.

I would like to do as imjolly suggested in the other thread, and change one of my non-master sockets into a master socket, to connect the router to a more central socket in the house. Never dealt with internal wiring though, so not sure if I would be able to do this. Wouldn't want to mess something up.

I think you'll find that the RT-AC87U would also need a separate vDSL modem like your previous order.

Asus RT devices are routers , not modems. For fibre you need the DSL devices like the DSL-AC68U that I have.

0 Ratings
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Haha yes I posted prematurely. I'm looking at the Netgear Nighthawk series R7000/75000/8000 to compare them with the AC87U. The thing I like about Asus is their software is very good, Netgear not so much.

I may end up going with the Asus + VSDL modem, or if it looks like the Nighthawk will be fine, I'll just get that one. At least it has a built in VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 21

I must admit I like Asus kit. With the RT routers there's usually plenty of custom software available , like Merlin. But for the DSL ones none.

I'm more than happy with the DSL-AC68U. Wireless coverage is very good , although I've no AC devices to test that side of things. It's rock solid on the vDSL side as well. Plus most of the features one would expect these days.

If you've BT TV then the AC68U works just fine with the multicast transmissions but I think that Netgears aren't quite so compatible.

0 Ratings
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

When you say rock solid on the vdsl side, what do you mean? I thought modems were modems? Is there something specifically I should be looking for?

I have also been looking at the DSL-AC68U I must admit.

I do have BT TV, currently connected to my HH5 via Powerline adapters - would I need to enable certain settings to get it to work? I only have the basic package with the BT Sport channels (which is the only reason I wanted it).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

That's just like saying a car is car 😉 Some modems perform better than other under certain line conditions. Yes you would usually need to change some settings to enable multicast (how BT TV content is delivered)
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 21

@karansaraf wrote:

When you say rock solid on the vdsl side, what do you mean? I thought modems were modems? Is there something specifically I should be looking for?

I have also been looking at the DSL-AC68U I must admit.

I do have BT TV, currently connected to my HH5 via Powerline adapters - would I need to enable certain settings to get it to work? I only have the basic package with the BT Sport channels (which is the only reason I wanted it).

The Asus DSL modem/routers are just that - a router with a built in modem like your HH5.

Initially there were concerns that the AC68U would drop the fibre connection frequently but after several firmware updates it's now absolutely stable.

The settings for BT multicast are very simple & well documented on the Youview sub-forum.

I have a cat6 cable connection for my BT sport Youview box but use Powerline adapters for my other Youview box. Really makes no difference.

0 Ratings
karansaraf
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Searching openreach modem on ebay gives lots of white modems that look similar. Is there a difference between them? A particular model better/newer than the others?

0 Ratings