cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Clarification on FTTP

Last year our road got fibre installed and I'm not clear on what the situation is with connecting my property, which is located 300M down a private track. Currently the property is served by overhead copper - 4 spans in total.

The fibre runs underground to a roadside pole at the end of our track and then overhead to the next pole along the track (1 span) where it ends at a connection box. I originally noticed it was placed low enough to be damaged by cattle and spoke to the team who were doing the installation and they said someone else would have to move it. Subsequently Open Reach visited - they moved the box to the top of the pole and installed an additional item with two spools - I think it's a strain relief or cable lock. Immediately prior to this I had email notification that I would be getting a free fibre upgrade and I asked the engineer if there was anything more we needed to do (thinking that they were about to connect Fibre to the property) He said we didn't need to do anything, they would do it all. However, after they left the copper line was still connected right back to the roadside. I expected to receive FTTP as part of the work but no-one has returned to install it.

As I am now receiving emails from BT advising me that I am Full Fibre eligible I would like to know if there was a mistake in not extending the fibre down to the property at the time of installation - why would it terminate after 1 span? All of my neighbours that connect with just a single span now have FTTP.

I have seen some households quoted in the thousands to bridge the gap from the nearest fibre to their property, I do not want to incur additional cost to connect me to fibre, I cannot find any facts relating to limits on distance from the road before the customer has to pay for the overhead connection.

The screenshot shows information for our actual property, note that 'FTTP Install Process' records '1 Stage' - what does this mean

Screenshot_2020-12-12 BT Broadband.png

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Clarification on FTTP

The connection box you speak of will be the CBT, Connectorised Block Terminal.

Connectorised Fibre Cable comes in factory made lengths of, 33m, 55m, 105m,  160m and 350m.

Poles are usually placed 50-55m apart so if it’s requires 3 further spans plus the span from the last pole to your house if you weren’t counting that then it’d most likely need a 350m. If the 3rd span is that from the last pole to your house a 160m would probably be sufficient.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@Guzzigirl, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, are you sure you weren't offered a free upgrade to FTTC broadband? From the checker results, you've posted FTTP is available now and can be ordered with no issues anticipated. 1 stage means the installation should be completed in one visit.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

1 stage means an engineer will turn up and get you connected in one go. 2 stage brings the fibre to the outside of the property then another engineer to do the install.

To place an order ring the FTTP team. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the replies, just checked the offer I was sent and it was for 'Superfast Fibre, average speeds either 36mb or 50mb'  it didn't specify which. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Ring the number I have given you, they will tell you exactly what you can get. You can get the Superfast speeds (55/80 downloads) via FTTP at exactly the same price as FTTC or go for Ultrafast. The choice is yours.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I went through the order process just to  be clear and it's Fibre 1 so I'm okay with that.

I tried ringing this morning but the queue is over half an hour. I wonder if someone here could further clarify what's involved with a new installation at the property itself - I'm now fairly clear on what's involved with the overhead cable other than whether there's an external connection point on the building or whether the fibre cable runs directly from the last pole to inside the house and directly to the ONT.

The property is an old stone building and the existing cable enters through a hole between a window and the wall at ground floor level. The window was renovated this year (it was installed in 1860) so I don't want it drilling.

Q.1 Is the old copper cable removed and replaced with the new fibre cable?
My understanding is that this carries a copper pair. It would be ideal if it was a replacement rather than parallel install.

Q2. What equipment will be installed inside the building?
I see that there's now a smaller ONT that's a standalone unit with no backup battery and not installed inside an outer case. Would I automatically get the smaller unit?

I don't need the ability to make landline calls in the event of a power cut.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Guzzigirl 

Have a read of this thread for more up to date info.  😎

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the replies and the  link, though there's still some lack of clarity over the install. The FTTP team said it would be an initial survey, then a single visit install with the newer, smaller ONT with no battery backup. That suits me fine, as the ONT will need to be mounted on my dining room wall in full view, so the smaller the better.  We confirmed with the FTTP team that we will be getting digital voice with a handset supplied as part of the deal. The old copper cabling will be removed.

I placed the order today and was told I will be getting the new smaller ONT without the battery back up.

0 Ratings