cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 11 of 22

Re: Coincidence or skullduggery?

The overseas call centre personel may be well aware that a reset of the line connection (which incidently can only be done either by level 3 BTw techs or Openreach locally) and can result in an increased linespeed, allbeit temporarily. It's only really a restart of the primary DLM process, without the benefit of line history ... sooner or later as time unfolds your line once again experiences its own conditions local to you, and thus the line algorithms begin to sort out their task and give you what you'll get. You have to remember that line conditions change from day to night and differently according to environmental conditions out of BT control. That's why the algorithms exist ... even a router restart on ADSL broadband at certain times of the day can be benefitial. The achilles heal will always be the copper pair ... FTTP connections have no such issues, or few comparitively speaking. Impulse noise kills packet transmission down wires ... and costs bandwidth and overheads ~ the algorithms are the medicine, not the killer.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 22

The overseas call centre personnel cannot either "refresh" nor reset a VDSL line. This can only be performed by an Openreach Broadband engineer after attending to repair a fault.

An ADSL connection is within the realms of the qverseas call centre to "refresh" or reset this could explain their misconception.

Perhaps the OP would like to enter his phone no HERE and post the result (after removimng his phone no)?

mikec1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

Hi pippincp

Here's the result from the broadband availability checker. I hope that's sufficient (and not too large - took me a while to figure out how to copy into the post)

Sorry - some of the heading etc were stripped out before I could post, but I hope it still makes sense.

VDSL Range A (Clean)69.651.92014.645.9Available--------
VDSL Range B (Impacted)5531.717.67.924.6Available--------
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--4.5 to 13.5Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 14.5 to 13.5Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 7--6 to 8Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--------
Fixed Rate2----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 22

That result is OK, I would expect you to get around 49Mbps as a minimum and should have been previously.

Have you checked for noise on your line? 17070 option 2.

mikec1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

Hi again

I've just done the noise test and, as it was when I experienced the big drop in speed a couple of years ago, the line sounds perfectly quiet to me.

Here's the relevant data from my router as of today:

4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:1 days, 08:16:48
6. Data rate:9999 / 54995
7. Maximum data rate:21306 / 63380
8. Noise margin:14.1 / 8.6
9. Line attenuation:22.5 / 17.5
10. Signal attenuation:22.4 / 17.5
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Connecting at the maximum speed of Infinity 1

Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

As has been said, you were likely suck on a banded profile previously, and that has been removed with the change of service to 55/10 which has essentially reset DLM.

You have a bit of a noise margin buffer available to play with so hopefully the connection will remain stable at the higher speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
mikec1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

Hi Webby.

I've re-checked the thread and could find no obvious reference to me previously being 'stuck on a banded profile'.

May I ask who or what determines such a banded profile? DLM or human 'dial twiddler'?

In the meantime I'm pleased report that the download speed is so far holding at around 51.5 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

DLM

There are no human 'dial twiddlers'

Guru
Message 20 of 22

There are too ... they work for V irgin. 😉