cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Compatible Modem

I'm experiencing issues which at the moment is looking unlikely to be fixed regarding BT's Smart Hub 2 and WiFi speeds on their G.fast fibre broadband. I'm getting full speed to the Hub (140mbps) and on any device hard wired, but WiFi performance is erratic with speeds varying from 10mbps to 50mbps stood right next to the hub. I've also added Complete WiFi but this obviously hasn't made a difference as connecting via WiFi directly to the hub produces slow speeds anyway. I've had an engineer visit, combined with a new hub and the BT guy was unable to fix it. I have seen other members on this forum with similar issues and my gut feeling is it lies with the firmware.

If this isn't resolved, I might go down the route of binning the Smart Hub 2 altogether and purchasing the Linksys Tri-Band Mesh WiFi Router then adding Nodes as/if required. So, my question is can anyone advise me of a Modem which will work with BT's G.fast fibre broadband so I'll get the full 140mbps which I'm currently getting. I'm simply after a Modem only as the Linksys system will take care of the WiFi and Router side of things.

Any help/guidance would be gratefully appreciated 🙂

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Compatible Modem

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Not strictly configuring it as a modem in true bridge mode, it will still be routing and natting but have DHCP and wifi turned off.

0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I think given what I’ve read is the best solution is put up with my current setup until Draytek release the Vigor 160 series of modems, that’ll be the best option I reckon...

0 Ratings