cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowlucas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Confirm which socket is the master socket

Hi, been having some issues with VDSL since moving into this property about 3 years ago. Originally used HH5 which would drop the internet at least once per day. Tried a billion 8800nl which seemed less prone to actually dropping connection while using but the line ended up stuck on an banded ip profile with interleaving so something was clearly not right. Now trying a Vigor 130 which has moved me onto fast path. It’s still banded (at 35mbs) but I’ve only had it a week so this may improve in a few months. Have had one connection fail after about 4 days. 

Anyway it’s fairly common advice to check your internal phone wiring and this is where I’m confused. We seem to have three phone sockets. One is clearly an extension but the other two appear to look like master sockets. How do I confirm which is the master socket? I will add photos. The one currently connected to the modem has a Openreach faceplate and I’ve always assumed that was the master socket but it appears to be spun off from another socket in the master bedroom. 

Photos is to follow 

Thanks for any help. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Confirm which socket is the master socket

Follow the line from where it enters the house. 

0 Ratings
snowlucas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

So this is in what was probably the master bedroom. I have never used this socket but the extra wiring seems to lead to the socket im currently using which will be the next post.

Bedroom Socket1.jpgBedroom Socket 2.jpg

0 Ratings
snowlucas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

This is where I've had the modem/router since moving in. I've always assumed it was the master socket because of the openreach logo but this is actually in an extension so potentially the engineer extended from the original socket rather than adding a new line?

familyroom2.jpgfamilyroom1.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Thats where the external cable comes in but it isn't the master. The external cable has been crimped through to an internal cable on the blue pair and then back fed from that on the orange pair. The destination of the cable is the master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Posts crossed, I was replying to your first post. Second picture is master socket and fed back to first picture.

Except it isn't as the orange pair has been cut.

0 Ratings
snowlucas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

So the outside cable comes into the first room (master bedroom) and via the blue cables is extended to the openreach socket? if the orange cables were connected that socket in the master beddrom would work and be an extension but they have been cut?

Does that sound right?

Seems like a slightly bizzare way to wire it. Is this something that could affect my broadband?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Not really bizarre, it was probably done that way to improve your broadband at the second location.

If you reconnect the orange pair to terminals 2&5 in the faceplate you will restore service to the first socket.

0 Ratings
snowlucas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I more meant not the best to extend the current wiring vs running the line to the correct place. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I suspect it was a lot simpler to extend the wiring than a completely new external feed. In terms of performance, no difference as the relative difference in lengths of wiring would be absolutely negligible. Running the line to a different place would have involved considerable expense with Openreach whereas the DIY job would be peanuts.

0 Ratings