Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Conflicting information over availability of BT Infinity

I live in St Austell, which is one of the 6 pilot areas for FTTP and according to recent press releases it has already gone live but when I look around all I am seeing is conflicting information.

According to the line checker at the BT Infinity page I am not in an area that is enabled yet for fibre optic and Sam Knows says St Austell won't be getting FTTC until December of 2012 but if I do the postcode check at BT Wholesale it says FTTC is already enabled... We are about 100m from the nearest cabinet and I saw BT digging up the road outside our house over a month ago.

Currently I'm on an LLU ADSL2 connection through Xilo and the line rental is through Sky, so I don't know if that is confusing matters but I've been unable to get any kind of clear answer from BT on when we are likely to get access to a fibre optic connection and whether it will be FTTP or FTTC. It could be a week or it could be a year... Since I work from home via the internet a genuinely fast unlimited broadband connection is something I'd like to see enabled as soon as possible.

Is there any way to cut through all this conflicting information and find out what options we will have and when?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Conflicting information over availability of BT Infinity

I noticed a person asking for help help identifying the cabinet they are connected to and when/if it's due Infinity.

Dean a BT forum Mod replied and he mentioned "and others".

It might be worth contacting... See Message #13 and the contact form is in #15. 

They will probably need address/post code/phone number... anything you can think of that will help them to identify your location.

It may take 72hrs or so to get a reply due their workload.

Note when you use a checker  the only way to get an accurate result is by entering a telephone number.... if you have BT line.

The Post code result is only for an area and within that area some cabs have been done and some haven't.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks PC, I've filled in a request as you suggested and sent it in. Hopefully they can cut through all the conflicting information and let me have a clear answer.

I was thinking about moving over to Sky not so long ago and saving £20 a month on my current spend but I'd really like a fibre optic connection and the lack of clear information from BT is frustrating.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I've just heard back from the mods and they can't give me any kind of time estimate at all for when fibre optic might be available on this line. With all the mixed information it could be a month or possibly a year, even though St Austell is a pilot area for FTTP. At this point I think I'll sign up with Sky even though it's a 12 month contract and at least I'll save some money in the meanwhile. That's a pity because I really did want the fibre optic connection but BT just aren't giving me any indication whatsoever of when this will be available.

Just as a quick after thought. I had a fibre optic connection for less than I am paying now when I was living in Italy back in 2000. I can't believe I still don't have it in the UK almost 12 years later and I hope that explains my lack of patience.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

It's one year later and I still can't get any information on when we are likely to see a fibre optic connection here. I'm amazed that BT still have no useful information. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 8

You could register your home as a business and register your interest for FTTP on Openreachs website.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks I did that a long time ago. It's strange because the area is plastered with billboards advertising that fibre optic is live and when I do number checks it's clear that several nearby addresses a couple hundred meters from us can get it but we seem to be completely cut off for some reason. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Hi it sounds like you may either be to far from your cabinet or you are on a cabinet that is delayed activation for technical reason or the cabinet you are are has not been upgraded yet
0 Ratings