cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iggy82
Message 1 of 6

Confused... Does infinity require a special line fitted from the cabinet?

Note: I do have a phone line at my house although it is inactive.

So back in May when I moved into my new property, BT informed me that I could have Infinity so I signed up.  However, Openreach phoned to say they were having problems getting the line to my property and would need to dig up my shared driveway (shared with 9 other properties) to remedy.  I'd need permission from every homeowner in who shared the driveway so I gave up at this point as a lot of us rent and thus would need permission from the landlord.

Today, I have an Openreach engineer fitting standard up to 8mb broadband (which is rubbish as our local exchange is miles way so I can only get up to 2.5MB).  I've just been talking to the engineer and he said I should be able to get Infinity through the existing phone line,  he couldn't understand why BT were trying to get a new line to the property when there was an existing phone line already.

Does anyone understand what's going on?  Could BT have instructed Openreach to be fitting a FTTP/FTTH line rather than use the standard phone line from the cabinet? (FTTC)?  I'm confused and now wondering if I could be on a Infinity package after all!?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Confused... Does infinity require a special line fitted from the cabinet?

What does the DSL checker say is available for your phone line? www.dslchecker.bt.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

it's the same line from your home to the street cabinet for infinity  enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Iggy82
Message 4 of 6

@ray_dorset wrote:
What does the DSL checker say is available for your phone line? www.dslchecker.bt.com

WBC FTTP and ADSL Max.

So it does seem they were trying to install a new fibre line to the premises which they couldn't.  And no ADSL2/FTTC here according to that page, so I guess no standard Infinity (FTTC) is available, only Infinity 2 (FTTP)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

You should talk to the landlord. FTTP is a great asset and would increase the desirability of the property. Infinity 3 and 4 are available for FTTP - up to 300Mbps 🙂

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 6

Correct FTTP is the option offered. I'd snatch their hand off for that!

0 Ratings