cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Confused about my recent fibre upgrade in my area

Go to solution

We've recently had fibre installed in my area - the maximum we've been able to get up until now has been 10mbps via BT so I'm really keen to upgrade as soon as possible.

I've been contacted by Gigaclear to say that it is now live and that they can now come and set it up for us.

Does this mean that BT can now make use of the fibre and offer us the new packages also? It seems like BT aren't offering us any fibre packages yet...

Am I better off just switching to Gigaclear or do BT usually start using the fibre infrastructure soon after?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Confused about my recent fibre upgrade in my area

Go to solution

BT don't use the Gigaclear infrastructure. If you want to switch to fibre you will need to move to Gigaclear.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Just to double check, I think it's Openreach that's been doing the fibre installation. Are you saying that BT won't have access to this fibre?

If so, thanks, I'll have to go with Gigaclear, I would have preferred to stay with BT though 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

as @licquorice  said you will need to change ISP to Gigaclear.  if you are still in contract to BT then there will early termination penalties on switching

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@amz543 wrote:

Just to double check, I think it's Openreach that's been doing the fibre installation. Are you saying that BT won't have access to this fibre?

If so, thanks, I'll have to go with Gigaclear, I would have preferred to stay with BT though 😞

It will either be Openreach doing the fibre in which case BT will have access or Gigaclear in which case they won't. It won't be Openreach providing it for Gigaclear.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Ah thanks for the clarification, I think this is Openreach infrastructure and perhaps Gigaclear are just first to provide the new packages. Hopefully BT will be doing it soon then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

just enter phone number and keep checking to see if fibre appears  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@amz543 wrote:

Ah thanks for the clarification, I think this is Openreach infrastructure and perhaps Gigaclear are just first to provide the new packages. Hopefully BT will be doing it soon then.

No. As far as I'm aware Gigaclear provide their own infrastructure, and don't use Openreach.

Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Ah I see, thanks again for that info, I'll get to the bottom of who is actually doing installation. Cheers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @amz543 ,

As a matter of interest where are you located please ?

0 Ratings