cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Confused about new build with fibre

Hello

I have recently moved into a new built apartment. We have been told that the development has FTTH and we have a box installed for the connection. From what I have read the PON light should be green but this one is not lit up. 

The developer told us that we need to register the serial number with open reach to activate the connection. I have completed two forms on their website which they say they will investigate the problem. 

We have not had this type of connection before so I don’t know if there is a problem. I just assumed we had to register the serial number. 

I am a BT customer, we used to have a landline but when we moved temporarily we removed that service and just kept our mobile phone service. So now I would like to get BT broadband in this new property. 

I called BT 10 days ago and spoke to someone at the fibre help desk. They couldn’t take the order because the new address does not have a connection. For information I have registered with Royal Mail and the address and postcode are live.  She said to keep trying the availability checker and when the address shows up call back to make the order for broadband. I have checked everyday but it always comes up with nothing.

This is where I am getting confused. I’m not sure if the availability checker is going to show the address as ready for service if the serial number of the box has not been registered. And I’m not sure if the serial number will be registered if I cannot place an order because the address doesn’t show up on the availability checker.  Because the development only has fibre will the checker always show that there is no connection?

Have I got that right? Sorry for the confusion but I have only ever used the regular broadband connection. 

I have read on another thread that a moderator can register the serial number and when it is active I can call the fibre team to order broadband. If so can this be done?

Hope you can help. thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Confused about new build with fibre

have you phone the FTTP team 08005874787?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Yes I have spoken to a member of that team. It was a person at that number who advised me to keep using the availability checker and call back when the address shows up.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Keep chasing the FTTP team.

However the a potential problem could be that the property may not appear on the availability checker until you have placed an order for a phone line only as it's a new build , you could check this when you ring BT. Do not place an order for any broadband as you will want to get the new customer prices for the FTTP when you can actually order it, otherwise you would be classed as upgrading and won't get much discount.

Message 5 of 8

If the PON Light isn’t lit then there’s no Live Fibre to the ONT.
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thank you Conrad. I will see if this pon light comes on in the next week. If not I will give them a call and see if they can do what you suggest.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks starwire. I have just spoken to the developer. The registration with open reach is going to happen on Monday. They say that we should be able to order broadband a few days later.
Message 8 of 8

Registering the ONT will make no difference to the PON Light being on/off.

If it’s off then either there’s a problem or Openreach haven’t yet finished the Network Build.