cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Confused about phone line with Full Fibre FTTP package

Hi all,

I’ve been reading a lot about the FTTP installation process and the equipment provided - my interest being mainly how the phone service is provided.

With a Full fibre order there seems to be ambiguity around whether the phone service will be provided over existing copper wiring to the house, or if it will be provided via the fibre connection over voip. Which then leads to questions around what happens in a power cut etc.

The FAQ https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-from-BT-Your-questions-answered/td-p/20025... says nothing will change with the existing copper line.

But when I go through the order process on the bt.com website I see this text regarding phone service:

“You’re getting digital voice, our next generation home phone service giving you better quality calls” and then the offer of keeping existing phone and plugging it into Smart Hub 2, or getting Free 1x Advance digital phone or 2x essential digital phone.

This implies the copper line will be retired?

The reason for this question is that my elderly parents get a pretty bad FTTC service at present, and FTTP is available from the pole near the house (which also carries power...hence the concern about phone service during power cuts - they get quite a few!).

It would be great for then to get onto fibre but I fear the change in landline service, plus the lack of emergency backup in the event of a power cut would stop them from going ahead with this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Confused about phone line with Full Fibre FTTP package

I'm not sure what the criterion is for deciding whether voice is provided by existing copper or Digital Voice (VOIP) for FTTP installs, it doesn't appear to be universally one or the other. Given that your order process specified Digital Voice, I suspect that is what will be provided in this instance.

I appreciate that it shouldn't be necessary to incur extra expense, but in the absence of a BBU a third party UPS would maintain power.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

AFAIK , if the property has a copper connection, when FTTP installed the telephony remains over copper, unless at the application stage there is an option for digital voice  and that is selected , then telephony is over the ‘fibre’ and the phone will need to be plugged into the router, and the copper pair becomes redundant 

Something to have in mind, is within the next few years, as PSTN is switched off, all telephony will be over ‘broadband’ FTTP or FTTC .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

@iniltous  You are almost correct there. If there is a copper connection then that will remain for the phone line. Once the PSTN is retired then everyone will have to go digital voice on BT services. As the superhub will then become the base station for dect phones then it means you are tied to using the BT hub. Not good for customers IMHO as it ties you into the hub.

Message 5 of 18

I don’t get any options... “you’re getting digital voice” it says whether you want it or not 🙂

74FB9666-10A7-4726-8114-FB210CFBC86B.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Then up to you if you take it. You don't have to have it but if you need a home phone that is your only option.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

All it means is if you take digital voice all the equipment is supplied & maintained by BT FOC so as far I can see there's no downside

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

@garybs29  Unless you want to use a much better third party router of course. There's always the choice of a VoIP supplier for the phone connection as an alternative.

Message 9 of 18

As the OP posted,the downside is lack of service in the event of a power cut.

Message 10 of 18

anyone with just cordless phones has that problem already if there is a power cut

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.