cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pavvyben
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Congestion/Very Slow Internet during evenings/weekends - Oakham LE15 01572 Area

Just creating a thread for the ongoing issue of abismal speeds in the area. If anyone else is experiencing the same issues, please post here!

Because of the dire speeds I've recieved, two days ago, I sent a fairly strongly worded and pretty blunt e-mail to the five people listed below.

MD of BT Retail - Ms Libby Barr

CEO of BT Wholesale - Mr Nigel Stagg

CEO of BT Group - Mr Gavin Patterson

CEO of BT Consumer - Mr John Petter

and BT Chairman, Sir Michael Rake.

That came after I had originally complained to an overseas call centre, but because I'd missed a call back from their complaints team, they wouldn't talk to me again for another 24 hours. Needless to say, I wasn't particulary impressed.

But I think the penny might be dropping at the top, and my fault has been assigned to the Chairman's office. They believe it's a DSLAM issue, but I'm not entirely convinced. Nevertheless, they are investigating it, and i'm getting daily calls to provide me with the latest information. So we will see what happens.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 9.14 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.14 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 9.44 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.44Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

On a final note, this the latest offering in the superfast fibre optic broadband service, provided by BT. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Congestion/Very Slow Internet during evenings/weekends - Oakham LE15 01572 Area

It's a congestion issue in Uppingham/Oakham - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130416.msg1143841.html#msg1143841

Plusnet have identified users on the following exchanges as affected :Manton, Morcott, North Luffenham, Oakham, Thistleton, Uppingham.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Congestion/Very Slow Internet during evenings/weekends - Oakham LE15 01572 Area

Have you had an update on this? BT Wholesale have said they are unable to see any issue but monitoring out of hours is due to continue. 

0 Ratings
pavvyben
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi Andy,

I thought it had semi-fixed as last night it was much better. But nope, we're back to the same old story again with the speed.

BT Forum Mods/Staff aren't allowed to touch my complaint as it's been escalated to the Chairman's office. So they couldn't really help.

I've been getting almost daily calls from BT explaining they think it's the DSLAM, and I've got an engineer coming out tomorrow between 8am-1pm. I put £1,000 on him not finding anything wrong my connection or the cabinet!

It's congestion, any human being with at least one brain cell that knows about networks could identify this. But we are talking about BT here. BT Wholesale are completely clueless and are unable to find a fault. How about the come to my house at 9pm and then they can run all the tests they like when it's running at stupidly slow speeds!

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 5.18 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.18 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 11.47 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.47Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
LenAsh
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

If it's any consolation, I have the same problem on the Oakham (01572) exchange. 

I'm the guy AndyH referred to on the other thread...

For reference, my daytime throughput matches the line rate - 40MB, but in the evenings drops to 2 -3 MB. Weekends are poor too, particularly Sundays. I cannot stream anything, cannot download anything and Skype is a no-no.

Currently, BTW are saying they cannot see any problems. Which is clearly "untrue".  My  problem has existed since installation, 13th May 2014.

For ref, I'm on Cab 11.

(In Oakham, our choice of provider is wide, but they all use the same BT infrastructure. And no Virgin Fibre...)

0 Ratings
LenAsh
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Examples

Daytime

Daytime.jpg

Evenings

Evening.jpg

BTW_Evening.jpg

TBB BQM.jpg

0 Ratings
pavvyben
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Well,

I think I might have had some success with BT finally. They appear to be doing something now, rather than giving me every excuse under the sun as to what is wrong with it.

They changed my line card last Thursday, but as I expected, it made absolutely no difference.

Then I got an email on Saturday telling me that they had some news from the engineering team:

"I’ve had some news from our engineering team. There’s currently a capacity issue at the Oakham exchange which is affecting your service. We’re working to increase capacity but I’m not in a position to give you a fix date right now."

Because the team works Monday-Friday, he couldn't give me an update until Monday, and sure enough, he did today:

"There is a new 10GB link due to be installed towards the end of this week/ start of next week. This will need to be properly tested and integrated so the engineering teams are hoping to see an improvement from the around the 19th onwards.

The engineers are going to try to reconfigure the existing capacity to see if they can improve things but I don’t think there is any guarantee that this will work. Hopefully things will improve a little."

So we will see what happens after the 19th. If they manage to install a brand new 10GB link and have it up and running by 19th September, that would be insanely fast considering they've got to actually lay the cable, but we will see. Virgin Media took 14 months to do that when I had a similiar problem at university, so lets hope BT are a bit faster than that.

0 Ratings
LenAsh
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that. My FTTC stalled tonight... I've never seen broadband drop to 0.1MB before... or dial-up for that matter.

Now my phone line's developed a loud buzz. Probably something to do with the clown in the tent around the phone cabinet on Princess Avenue for 3 days last week.. 

0 Ratings
LenAsh
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The capacity problem affecting Oakham has now been resolved and the evening performance is as per the daytime performamce. Clearly BTW have no effective means of monitoring their network performance... otherwise this would/should never have happened.

0 Ratings