cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Connect Smart hub 2 via a switch to fibre ONT

Go to solution

Hi

Using Asus wifi mesh as main Wifi in house, so I need Asus router and Smart hub to connect to fibre. Connected Smart hub and Asus to a 5 port Switch, but Smart hub won't connect. Does Smart hub need to be connected directly to the fibre ONT?

Thanks

Duncan

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Connect Smart hub 2 via a switch to fibre ONT

Go to solution

If you have a fibre ONT you don't need the hub, just connect the Asus  directly to the ONT.

You can't connect 2 routers to a modem (ONT) via a switch in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I need the Smart hub to allow the phone to connect (should have said on original post!)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Then you are going to have to connect the Asus to the hub as either a wireless access point (LAN port hub to LAN port Asus) or have the Asus in a separate subnet and double NAT (LAN port hub to WAN port Asus)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Are you using Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I have a similar setup, a switch will work between the red WAN port on the SH2 & the ONT but not with other devices connected to the switch as they would effectively be on the wrong side of  the firewall.  I have my ONT and SH2 connected via a dedicated Ethernet cable in different parts of the house, with my switch and other network devices connecting to the yellow LAN ports on the SH2. Everything works ok like this including Digital Voice. In my case this allowed me to place my SH2 optimally in my house for best WiFi and DECT coverage

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Nothing to do with firewalls, you can't connect 2 routers to an ONT.

No idea why you would want to connect just one device via  a switch

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Just trying to answer the original question posed by the OP Smart Hub 2, Digital Voice and Asus Router. Personally, unless there are very specific config requirements I would ditch the Asus and perhaps add BT Wifi discs if coverage is an issue?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

The most simple way to set this up would be to have the SmartHub2 plugged directly into the ONT, but with the Wi-Fi turned off.

Then you can have the Asus router configured to access point mode and have it either plugged into the smarthub2 or further down the network by using the switch

0 Ratings