Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Connected to the wrong cabinet

Go to solution

New FTTC installed a few months ago in our small village, my house is about 500 metres from the cabinet, which cabinet 6. The site originally said I was connected to cabinet 1, which is about 3 miles away, but after a lot of communications with Openreach, they updated my routing. However, I’m just wondering if I am still connected to the old cabinet, further away, despite what the BT site says?

when I run a speed test, i get the following:

Capture.JPG

however, when I check anyone else’s property that is next to my home, or even 500 metres further away from the cabinet than myself, I see results of 72 MB +. 

Surely, I must be connected to a different cabinet?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Connected to the wrong cabinet

Go to solution

That's just the availability checker.

You need to run the BT Speedtest here:- BT Speedtest

And also post the connection stats from your HomeHub.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

I dont have a broadband connection at home because the speeds have been so appauling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

original.png

this graph gives an indication of speed over distance  bear in mind unless you can see overhead cables form cabinet to your home you cannot be sure how long the actual cable distance actually is as most do not run in straight lines

if your cabinet was 3mls away you would not get a fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I am around 400-500 metres from the closest cabinet. Your graph would suggest I should be getting speeds of around 60-70 MB's. 

My neighbour who is 5 metres from my home has the following results:

How do I get this investigated/solved?

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

hpow long ago did openreach confirm that routing was to cab 6  just the dslchecker for your number was last updated 24/5/18

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

My apologies, I was using an old screen shot. Heres the latest one taken just now below.

Openreach confirmed connection to the new cabinet on June 6th, saying - 

You should now be able to order fibre broadband, and we confirm you’re actually fed from Great Cubley cabinet 6 (not 1).

It appears to have been a technical/clerical error. It may take 10 days to show on the BT wholesale checker that you’re fed from cabinet 6, but it shouldn’t stop you from ordering a service.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

if you run the checker with your address do you get a different result?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I get identical results with my address.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

it may be the change from cab 1 to 6 still give your line a more circuitous route to the cab than your neighbour

I have aske a mod to check it out for you and they will post here with a link  once you complete the form it cand take 2/3 days for mods to get back to you