cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 13

Connecting Modem to Router

I just got Infinity 1 installed today. The modem is next to the master socket and is 10m away from the HomeHub router which is under the TV.

The default installation consisted of a normal ethernet cable from the modem to a square ethernet wall socket, then 10m of thick white cat5/6 cable to another ethernet wall socket, and then another normal ethernet cable to the HomeHub router. Seemed a bit over complicated for what I needed. I got them to not screw the wall sockets to the wall or pin the cable to the wall so it was more flexible in future.

So when they had left I tried connecting the modem and router using a single 10m shielded ethernet cable I already had and it seems it has synced at 39.9Mbps when I run the BT Retail speed test. That is the maximum I can expect.

Do the ethernet wall sockets do anything special or can I just replace that set up with the single ethernet cable permanently?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Connecting Modem to Router

I don't think they do anything special - I use an ethernet cable.

Can you upload a photo of the setup, it sounds new/different?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

This is what they originally set up between the modem and router. Three cables. Obviously the sockets would normally be screwed to the wall next to the modem and TV and the white cat cable pinned around skirting boards and door frames. For me they were just lying on the carpet floor so seemed a bit unnecessary for what I need.

cables.jpg

I've just replaced it with the single cat5 cable now. Wanted to just make sure I wasn't going to mess up any bedding in period by doing so. First day and all that. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 4 of 13

i think a single ethernet cable is more sensible, the more connections between the modem and router would be more stuff to go wrong, a simple single ethernet is as simple as it can be and a better job

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for that, looks like they have modified the data extension kit to extend the connection between the modem and router instead of the original idea of extending the connection between the master socket and the modem.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll just use the single cable and keep an eye on the speed between the exchange and the router over the coming days. If it stays up near the 40Mbps max then I'm happy. 

The ethernet wall sockets are quite large. A similar size to the master socket, but not quite as deep. Bigger than normal phone extension sockets. I can't imagine that there is much inside them though. I think I'll unscrew one and have a look.

I suppose they would allow me to change the length of the ethernet cables at either end without changing the main 10m extension. More relevant if the white 10m cable was pinned to the skirting board in the normal way.

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 7 of 13

with my installation they just ran a data extention from the back of my main socket up the stairs into my bedroom with a socket on the end, the modem is then plugged into that extention under the table and the hh3 sits on the table above it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@ray_dorset wrote:
Thanks for that, looks like they have modified the data extension kit to extend the connection between the modem and router instead of the original idea of extending the connection between the master socket and the modem.

Yes. In my case I got them to put the OpenReach modem on the wall right next to the master socket (which they had relocated as well). So no normal data extension kit required. Just that the router, BT Vision+ box and TV are in the opposite corner of the same room, hence the ethernet cable going  round the room.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

Had a look inside one. Nothing there apart from the normal push on connectors for the bare wires and the socket on the front. Similar to a normal phone extension socket, jut bigger.

I agree that less connections is surely better if you can do it with a single cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

How many wires are connected in the socket?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings