cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MoonUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Connecting the BT Smart Hub without a microfilter.

Go to solution

Hello everybody,

I have a dedicated phone line for my Infinity 2 Unlimited broadband with just one  unfiltered (only one single BT plug on the faceplate) 5C master socket.  I have a separate phone line for my phones and other equipment, so nothing else is connected to that dedicated broadband phone line except for the BT Smart Hub. 

The Smart Hub is currently connected to the master 5C socket with a microfilter but I was wondering if I can remove that microfilter and connect the Smart Hub directly to the master socket with just a RJ22 to BT plug cable instead (I have a Belkin Cat5 High-Speed Internet Modem Cable, twisted pair). 

My question is, will using the Smart Hub without a microfilter affect my broadband performance at all? From my understanding I believe that a microfilter is only needed to filter out the noise when a phone is connected and that such noise does not affect the fibre brodband modem. Given that there is no phone (or any other equipment) connected to that line I think that there shouldn't be any problem if I connect the BT Smart Hub without a microfilter, but because I am not a qualified engineer I don't want to make any assumption so that is why I am asking. 

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Connecting the BT Smart Hub without a microfilter.

Go to solution
If you are only connecting the hub there is no need for a filter.
MoonUK
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Connecting the BT Smart Hub without a microfilter.

Go to solution
Hello licquorice, Thank you for your reply. As I said in my post, I thought that a microfilter would not be needed but I am glad that you confirmed it. Thank you very much again for your contribution.
0 Ratings