cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Connection Gone But DSL Light Still Green

Hi all,

wonder if anyone can help me with this issue. At around 9am my internet dropped out for about 15 minutes. I rebooted the boxes and after a short while it returned. However, it dropped again an hour later and has not come back.

I have an Openreach modem that connects to my router and runs over PPPoE. This setup has served me well for years and no settings have been changed. I have a green light for DSL on my modem, but on my router the light is orange, indicating an error.  I have tried the following:

* new cables for ethernet and DSL

* new filter

* rebooting all devices

* resetting all devices, including a factory of reset of the router

* trying to connect directly to modem via my laptop by creating a wan connection via PPPoE

None of these have worked. I have logged an engineer as it is increasingly looking like an external error, but is there anything else I can try, or can anyone hazard a guess at what the issue might be?

Cheers!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connection Gone But DSL Light Still Green

@PedroNeto 

Dial 17070 and check that the phone number that is read out, matches your home phone number, just in case you have a crossed line.

Which BT Broadband service do you have?

Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith,

thanks for the prompt reply. I don't actually have a home phone to plug in. Is there an alternative method I can use to find out what line is coming in?

I have Fibre 1.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@PedroNeto wrote:

Hi Keith,

thanks for the prompt reply. I don't actually have a home phone to plug in. Is there an alternative method I can use to find out what line is coming in?

I have Fibre 1.

Not really, as it possible that your line has been crossed with another, and you are now connected to a spare port in the cabinet. You could try ringing your home number from a mobile, and see if anyone answers it.

I assume you have checked the BT Service Status, to see if there are any faults?

https://my.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

A basic first check is to use a phone and check for dial tone, and also to check the number.

A cheap wired phone costs less than £10.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the reply again, Keith.

I tried ringing the line and it rang out, will try again later but I don't think it's that.

I have an open fault showing but think that's because I've logged an engineer. Nothing has been reported in my area. I did a bit of googling and found the same error with another provider, and this was the fix:

"From what I can see it looks like your connection was stuck.
That's why we passed it back originally as we thought it was working.
Tony was able to drop the stuck connection allowing you to get back online "

"Stuck" is a bit vague, but could there be a similar issue here?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

One of  these exchanges?

2021-02-03 19_02_40-Microsoft Excel - Fibre network incident summaries - 03_02_2021 12pm v1.xlsx  [R.png

Message 7 of 8

Nah, I'm in County Durham, nowhere near me. Never mind, thanks for your response.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

This has resolved itself. No sure what the issue was, or what fixed it. Basically got up this morning and it still wasn't working. An hour later I noticed the DSL light had gone off on the modem so rebooted the modem again and when it came back on it was working. Not idea what went on here but all seems to be good now.

0 Ratings