cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
airlam65
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Connection continuously drops during bad weather

We have had persistent connections drops for a while now. Finally have decided that enough is enough and we need to get it sorted.

Have spoken to overseas team at BT support and tested the line, told us to reset the hub as he found no fault other than 'congestion'. Then said the fault has been fixed, you won't experience it again. Alas an hour later it rained and surprise surprise the internet cut out.

Sent a text to the number we were provided and another member from BT support phoned and said it's our hub and we'll send you a new one. I repeatedly asked how can it be the hub when it only happens when it rains???! Which were repeatedly ignored.

There is no point sending me a new hub because there is absolutely nothing wrong with our current one. The internet is perfect in normal weather but the first sight of rain and it cuts. There is no way that is a coincidence.

I asked if we could book an engineer and we didn't mind paying as this problem is unbearable now. She said as she can't detect a fault, we can't have an engineer.

This is terrible service and I'm sick of being fobbed off with 'reset your hub'. I'm no expert but it seems pretty obvious that the fault is more than likely an external one.

Looking for someone to help please!
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Connection continuously drops during bad weather

Hi @airlam65 and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with the connection. Is there any noise on the line, especially during the drops? Can you check that by connecting the phone to the test socket behind the master face plate and dial 17070 option 2. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
airlam65
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. Have just tested the line and there is a slight buzz / crackle but it is good weather at the moment!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

If there is any noise on the line you will need to report a telephone fault. At this stage don't mention the broadband problem. Once the noise has been cured your broadband connection will also improve.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi @airlam65,

Thanks for getting back. @gg30340 is right. You'll need to report this as a line fault to 151. Once that's sorted the broadband connection should automatically sort itself.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
airlam65
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Should the line be silent then? Because it was just a very slight buzz at the time of testing
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 7 of 10

Yes, the line should be silent unless you are using a cordless phone when you may get a slight hum. It's always best to check with a corded phone.

On another note, a cordless phone won't work in the event of a powercut whereas a corded phone will.

0 Ratings
bh8er
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Airlam65

I had Infinity 2 terrible in the winter. I noticed that it changed as the weather did i.e. freezing melted. A long dialogue with people who sounded like that they had never experienced freezing resulted in testing the line for silence. It was rowdy. One more call to the never frozen assistance resulted in the threatened it will cost you line. Look it is not a quiet line.

Engineers came on two days and after climbing here and there resulted in a silent line and almost max up/download speeds with Infinity 2.

Do the line test and tell them your result. Because I seldom use the land line phone and only to answer calls I had not noticed the row going on.

Bon chance

0 Ratings
airlam65
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Hi sorry to keep posting here! We have had bad weather today which meant I could test our line during it and it is deadly silent. I'm just lost now I have no idea what the problem could be! Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You should still report the telephone fault which was there when you last checked.

0 Ratings