cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Connection dropping - please send replacement hub.

I’ve been experiencing frequent connection drops recently. Reported the fault a few times on the BT site over the last month or so.

I think the problem may be the BT Smart Hub 2, it’s had a burning smell for a long while but has remained stable for the most part over the last year or so.

This hub was a replacement for the same connection drops issue I was experiencing previously, and this hub fixed the problem for a long while - despite the smell.

I’d like to try a replacement to see if that will resolve this dropping connection issue. Can a mod here please arrange a replacement smart hub 2 for me?

This problem is frustrating for gaming as I am getting dropped out of matches. Tonight I spent 20 mins in a co-op session where I was 10 mins from the end, and the connection dropped. Meaning I have to restart from the beginning. After 5 mins or so of flashing lights the connection came back, and again the connection dropped again some 20 mins later. It’s dropped again a few more times before me finally posting here.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connection dropping - please send replacement hub.

you need to phone CS 150 and ask for a replacement hub as you can smell some burning from your current hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I’d rather deal with a mod on here as I have done before. I presume mods here can still arrange a replacement?

At least that was the case a few years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Mods deal with cases that haven't been able to be resolved by the usual methods. A simple hub replacement can be dealt with by customer services.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi @besmirched,

Thank you for posting.

The quickest way to have your hub replaced is by calling 150 as suggested by @licquorice and @imjolly.

Please give them a call and let me know how you get on?

Thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Ok, thanks for the advice. I called and had it replaced without issue.

It’s been connected for 6 days now with no further drops so far, hopefully the drops are resolved now.

One outstanding quey I have is with regards to BT Wi-Fi. I don’t want outsiders being able to connect to my BT Hub. 

Last time I believe I had to have a mod opt me out of this. Can a mod please opt me out of BT WiFi with my new hub?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

You don't need a mod to opt out of BT WiFi.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that. I’m not 100% sure if it worked as opting out returned me to the home page with no confirmation.

The connection has been fine with the new Smart Hub 2 for 10 days now, that is until tonight.

The internet disconnected with a purple the orange light about 11pm. And again just now around midnight, no purple, just orange light. It reconnects after a few minutes but interrupted Prime streaming this evening.

My question is - is this normal? I had read somewhere previously that drops can happen during the first few weeks of getting a new hub as it stabilises. Is there any truth to that?

Also, before these drops occurred this evening we did notice a black box hanging from the phone line outside the house. We don’t look at the top of the house often but for some reason this caught my eye earlier.

I took a photo of it below, any thoughts? Edit: Apologies for the rotated photo, for some reason it’s flipped when posting here, but you can see what I mean. The hanging black box looks about the size of a 4-way plug extension lead.

2EB01045-7233-4E82-94ED-748CB2431565.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

That box is probibly lighter than the cables and shouldn't cause a problem.

Your image wasn't rotated by the site, it shows exactly what your phone took, a landscape image.

0 Ratings