cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KD1992
Message 1 of 15

Connection keeps dropping

I don't know if this is posted in the correct section so please move to the correct board if it isn't.

We have been having problems with our connection for years but lately it has become unbearable, some days the connnection drops over 10 times in a 24 hour period for between 5 and 10 minutes. We phoned BT and were told it's because our home hub is in the window and the Wifi signal is going out the window and devices are losing connection. Even though I told the guy from BT on the phone that the connection is dropping over ethernet cable too but he was adamant that the problem is with the home hub being on the kitchen windowsill and was telling us to pay an electrician to relocate the phone socket to the center of the house.

So I set up my laptop in the kitchen and connected it to the home hub with an ethernet cable and downloaded a screen recording software and now have proof that the connection is dropping over ethernet and get a message saying that the home hub cannot connect to the internet with the home hub flashing yellow. I started writing down times that the connection would drop and checked the event log on the home hub and can see a correlation with a DSL Link down message.

My mother has phoned BT again and is now having to pay extra for BT Plus so we can have a mini hub to connect to when the connection drops, this is not acceptable. We need an engineer out to find out why the connection keeps dropping and the guy we spoke to on the phone needs his job taking off him because I told him multiple times that the connection was dropping over ethernet but he kept saying "it's because your home hub is on a windowsill" and "we can't see any drops in connection on our end."

I have proof that the connection is dropping over ethernet, we've not long had a new hub and it was happening on every hub we've had so it's not the hub, we've tried different ADSL filters and it still happens and I've plugged the hub directly in to the test socket and it still happens

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Connection keeps dropping

Welcome to this user forum.

I assume as you mentioned BT Plus, that you are on fibre broadband, so I have moved this to the fibre board. BT Plus will not really help unless you have a total loss of service, as the supply of the mini hub is subject to many exceptions.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

KD1992
Message 3 of 15

I know we have fibre to the box but not to the house.

I've tried the line test, there is a hum/buzzing noise there, sometimes constant and sometimes intermittent but we only have cordless phones so I don't know how to tell if it's noise on the line or just the phone

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

"We phoned BT and were told it's because our home hub is in the window and the Wifi signal is going out the window and devices are losing connection."  That is the best piece of absolute rubbish that I have heard from a BT Customer Service rep so far.  The person who give you that piece of wisdom should be sacked or at the very least moved off the front line desk and retrained.

Can you try connecting the Homehub to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for VDSL Broadband and will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed that you have already tried the test socket which will have eliminated your internal wiring. If there is no noise on your line and the fault is still happening you need to recontact BT and get them to send out an engineer to investigate the problem.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

a dull hum is common on cordless phone but not the buzzing  sounds like you need to report a phone fault to 151

you could check by using test socket with a filter and try quiet line test again   if noise still same then problem not in your home so unlikely to be charged for engineer callout when reporting phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@KD1992 wrote:

I know we have fibre to the box but not to the house.

I've tried the line test, there is a hum/buzzing noise there, sometimes constant and sometimes intermittent but we only have cordless phones so I don't know how to tell if it's noise on the line or just the phone

If there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

This should have been identified right at the beginning.

KD1992
Message 7 of 15

@gg30340What do you mean by telephone extensions? We have the master socket to an ADSL filter with the phone line and broadband line plugged in to the ADSL filter. If I plug the phone line directly in to the test socket there is still a dial tone?

0 Ratings
KD1992
Message 8 of 15

I've just watched a video on youtube on what a noisy line sounds like and ours doesn't crackle like that, it's just a slight hum. I'm going to try and borrow a corded phone tomorrow to see if the noise goes

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

@KD1992 wrote:

@gg30340What do you mean by telephone extensions? We have the master socket to an ADSL filter with the phone line and broadband line plugged in to the ADSL filter. If I plug the phone line directly in to the test socket there is still a dial tone?

You should have a dial tone if you are plugging a phone into the test socket.

When you have the facia removed from the master socket revealing the test socket and if you have any telephone extensions in other rooms, if you plug a phone into the extension socket there should be no dial tone at the extension socket.

The extensions should all be "dead" when you remove the facia because the extensions should be wired into the facia and thus become disconnected/unplugged when you remove the facia from the master socket.

0 Ratings
KD1992
Message 10 of 15

Okay so it's got worse the last few days. We borrowed a phone to try testing the line but I couldn't get the phone to work, I spoke to my father about the problem and he said he was dealing with it when he lived here over ten years ago when we were with a different provider and he did a line test but the line was quiet and BT wouldn't send anyone out. I have my laptop plugged in to the homehub again and I've been screen recording the drops, it happened 6 times yesterday that I know of. How do I get someone from BT to look at this thread because I see on other threads that BT staff get involved.

We've tried everything up to the master socket so it's nothing on the property and we need an engineer out. We still haven't plugged in the bt plus homehub or mini hub because we don't think it's fair we should be paying an extra cost because BT don't want to fix their problem

0 Ratings