Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hernibles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Connection renegotiates daily

Hello,

I have recently upgraded to Infinity from ADSL, about a month ago.

Where the ADSL connection was solid for weeks at a time I have noticed that more or less every day my router connection renegotiates.  The connection speeds change - randomly up or down - but never by much.  The timing of this is also random.

At the moment I am seeing 55228 down and 13108 up and it has been that way since approximately 1900 last night.  I am perfectly happy with that.

Is this to be expected?  I've only noticed because for example iPlayer is interrupted when the renegotiation happens, for 20 seconds or so.  I thought the connection was meant to stabilise after a couple of weeks.

David.

ps    I should add I am currently using a Draytek 2760n router, which I have had since ADSL.  It's fully firmware updated.  I will swap to the HH5 I have for a few days to see what happens!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connection renegotiates daily

Does the 2760n have line stats available which may shed some light on what is going on?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
hernibles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Untitled.jpg

This is all the info I can find:

0 Ratings
hernibles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Renegotiated tonight at 1845. Speed now 55548 / 13104
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Is there some electrical device coming on at this time which could be causing some interference, e.g. central heating?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
hernibles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I think I am making some progress here.  Connection dropped in front of my eyes, at the moment a TODO backup started at my PC, saving to a QNAP NAS that I have.

Looking at DRAYTEK support forums it seems they can be somehow sensitive to inappropriate DNS selection, causing VDSL2 to drop momentarily.

QNAP was on a locally fixed IP address but with a utterly spurious DNS entry (layer 8 problem on my side)

Have now fixed the IP through "binding" to it's MAC address at the router, so router is in complete control.

I am 51% optimistic of a good outcome.  WIll see in the coming days when my backup triggers.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
hernibles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Re: Connection renegotiates daily [Draytek 2760n; solved I believe]

Hello again,

It was recommended on Draytek forums that I upgrade the firmware to a version that specifically supports vectoring.  I did that and the connection has been rock solid ever since. 

From what I have read BT vectoring enhancements have not yet been rolled out............but maybe this is incorrect.  Can anybody comment on this?

David

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Re: Connection renegotiates daily [Draytek 2760n; solved I believe]

@hernibles wrote:

Hello again,

From what I have read BT vectoring enhancements have not yet been rolled out............but maybe this is incorrect.  Can anybody comment on this?

David

Not according to this :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings