cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Connection speed stuck?

Go to solution

Hello - We have been on Infinity 1 for about 2 years, and have been consistently getting a stable 35 Mbps download (10 Mbps upload). We are about 600 m from the cabinet, and have a Home Hub 5A connected via an Openreach Mk3 faceplate. Until about a month ago, the HH Helpdesk page showed a noise margin around 7 dB both up and down, but since then - and through a few reboots - the margin for downloads has risen to 10 to 12 dB. Another indication that line conditions or cabinet equipment may have changed is that the BT availability checker has shown improved estimated line speeds: 62 to 44 Range A and 50 to 32 Range B, compared with "historical" 55 to 40 Range A and 44 to 25 Range B (though I'm not sure quite when this happened). The BT Wholesale speed test shows an IP Profile of 33.88 Mbps, unchanged through these recent apparent changes in line condition. I wonder if these figures suggest any realistic prospect of getting a bit more connection speed, and whether it might require an engineer call to reset DLM, or if DLM might eventually sort things out. The "minimum guaranteed speed" on our contract is 35 Mbps but it is a bit frustrating to be stuck on this when it looks as though the line could possibly support more. Any advice on how to proceed will be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connection speed stuck?

Go to solution

Post your router stats - troubleshooting then helpdesk 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hepdesk (180412).PNGMany thanks imj - here are the statistics and BTW availability:

Hepdesk (180412).PNGBTW availability check (180412 - redacted).PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

from your stats and the comments in your post I think you are in a banded profile due to previous drops/resets in connection.  the DLM will eventually assuming like stable reduce the noise margin and increase the speed but this could take weeks or even months of stable connection

You are using the filtered faceplate but have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your conenction?  being in banded profile won't probably show increase in connection speed but hopefully will show a better attainable giving more scope for speed improvement

engineer has to find and fix a fault before he will get DLM reset not just visit to reset DLM

the sooner BT get the procedure set out so mods can arrange a DLM reset the better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks imj - Yes, I think this banding was applied ages ago, before the faceplate was fitted, and seems to have stuck ever since. It does seem odd that it's still so awkward to get DLM reset. I guess I'll wait and hope - which probably amounts to accepting the situation. I tried connecting to the master socket test socket with a filter, albeit some while ago before the recent apparent improvement in line conditions, and saw very little difference in noise margin (and none in speed): it seems the Openreach faceplate and a run of Cat 5e do their job pretty well. Just a shame about the DLM!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

as I said you would not see any change in connection speed but if attainable speed improved then noise margin would increase . it would then get your speed nearer the dslchecker speeds

0 Ratings