Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LU25
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Consistently low evening speeds - New customer

Go to solution
I have just moved into a new house and my BT service was activated in the 14th of November. It's worth mentioning I lived previously very close and in the same exchange at another property about 60 second walk away.

I've experience slow evening speeds of around 8 Mbps which starts at around 6:30pm then will go back up to 34mbps after around 10:30pm. It was the same at the other house I was renting where I was with BT as well. I assume it is a congestion issue or something similar if I've experienced it at two properties on the same exchange.

I've contacted BT three times now to explain this, the last time they suggested an engineer inspect the line but I could be charged 129.99 for the call out if there was no fault outside my property. Is there anything I can do to sort this terrible eveing speed out?? Customer service just seems to fob me off every time with generic troubleshooting.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Consistently low evening speeds - New customer

Go to solution
It sounds like congestion problems there is nothing BT Consumer or Openreach can do it is down to BT Wholesale who will be aware of the problem and working on a fix this can take time unfortunately

BT Consumer do not have the tools to see the problem so there is no point in phoning it in
0 Ratings
LU25
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Hi John46,

So what would you suggest to do? As I'm obviously not getting my guaranteed speeds of at least 27mbps in the evening which is exactly the time I need it! 😞

Ive been seeing this issue for around the last 3 months if you include my time at the last property...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
There is nothing you can do apart from wait the time it takes to increase capacity depends on the work carried out by BT Wholesale this problem will be affecting multiple providers not just BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
The speed you are quoted is the sync speed at your hub not a download speed
0 Ratings
LU25
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
How misleading, the speeds quoted aren't even what download you'll receive?

So there is literally nothing that can be done my end? BT wholesale will 100% be aware and working on a solution albeit at a snails pace?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @LU25

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your posts!

I'm sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband speed in the evenings.  From what you've said, it does point to a potential capacity issue.

What exchange are you connected to please and I'll check if there are any problems reported?

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
LU25
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Hi @RobbieMac,

Thanks!

The exchange I'm connected to is:

Exchange Name: Burton On Trent
OLO: EMBURTO

Thanks for looking into this 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hey @LU25

Thanks for posting back!

I've checked that exchange and nothing obvious stands out.  I'm going to need to get your details to take a closer look at this for you.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
LU25
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
@RobbieMac

Thanks, I've used the contact form.

Hmm that's weird, does that mean it's not a congestion problem? Or just that nothing has been reported?

I still have access to the other property as well, would it be worth me nipping over and running a speed test at the same time I notice a dip in speed here as well later on?

Thanks
0 Ratings